starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat technique fix.

Default Squat technique fix.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,
    I need some help with my squat technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWf7HKIMRF8
    I dont know why, but when I have no mirrior in front of me, my chest "falling down" and almost touch the thighs.
    I dont really why thats happen, maybe I didnt follow one of the rules..
    By the way, when I'm going up my chest and shoulders are going also up but they have a kind of delay..
    How can I fix that?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by PomFect; 03-27-2010 at 04:59 AM.

I don't know, your technique looks really good to me. Whenever I've tried squatting from the wall at a perpendicular angle to Mean 'Ol Mr. Gravity my form breaks down completely. You're a strong dude.

Seriously, do you expect people to turn their heads sideways and potentially strain their necks to critique your squat form?

Dont be that lazy, looking 20 seconds in uncomfortable way wont kill you.
    But since you want to help (I think so) and I need and want your help I reuploaded it
    Anyway there it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWf7HKIMRF8

By the way, I'm feeling more then normal my back, the center part of my back.
    Its known that happens becouse of my bad technique but how do I fix it up?
    Last edited by PomFect; 03-27-2010 at 05:04 AM.

You think I'm lazy because I don't want to turn my head 90 degrees to watch your squat video? Dude, posting a video like that is the very definition of lazy.
    But I digress.

Get out of the habit of relying on the mirror to watch or evaluate your form. That is a bad habit.

To me, it looks like your stance might be too wide, you seem to carry the bar a bit too low on your back, and your back isn't really locked out in extension. Have you read the book? Re-read the part regarding back extension and how your spine should be in a normal anatomical arch throughout the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by cervicornis View Post
    You think I'm lazy because I don't want to turn my head 90 degrees to watch your squat video? Dude, posting a video like that is the very definition of lazy.
    But I digress.

Get out of the habit of relying on the mirror to watch or evaluate your form. That is a bad habit.

To me, it looks like your stance might be too wide, you seem to carry the bar a bit too low on your back, and your back isn't really locked out in extension. Have you read the book? Re-read the part regarding back extension and how your spine should be in a normal anatomical arch throughout the movement.

Thanks for your replay.
    I never used a mirrior while I was squatting, I did it just once with no weight to check my form.. I did it pretty well.
    And to be honest, all I know about putting the bar on my back is when I'm taking my elbows the much as I can I get "meat" to put the bar on and there I place it.
    But I'll read that part since I got the book.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by PomFect; 03-27-2010 at 12:48 PM.

How on earth are you able to ascertain anything about your form without any weight on your back and while looking in a mirror? Think about this.

The book has nice pictures and goes into great detail about where to place the bar on your back, how wide your stance should be, etc. Pay particular attention to the part about back extension, because it looks to me like that's part of your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cervicornis View Post
    How on earth are you able to ascertain anything about your form without any weight on your back and while looking in a mirror? Think about this.

The book has nice pictures and goes into great detail about where to place the bar on your back, how wide your stance should be, etc. Pay particular attention to the part about back extension, because it looks to me like that's part of your problem.

I didnt look at my back, I looked at the mirror on my chest, how raised up was it.

Of course the pictures in the book are very helpful. With them I could understand where I should put the bar.

by the way, what part of the back extension you mean? The num. of the page would be very helpful.

Page 37-38.

Your stance looks too wide...your feet are almost outside of your hands when they should be shoulder width. Your knees are traveling forward at the bottom letting your hamstrings off the hook. Anchor them in place before you are halfway down and then think knees out to get depth from there. At the end of each rep stand up...you still have about 30 deg of lean at the top and I don't think you are in lumbar extension at any point in the lift...that would be your back pain source.

starting strength coach development program
    I went to gym today and I tried the new stance but its wasnt the problem.
    I figure out that the problem is the way the bar placed on my back.
    After I placed him he started to roll a bit down and thats the reason for my elbows to go down and the reason for my chest to go down too.
    At the last set I asked my friend to keep my elbows up and all I had to do is just going down and up with my butt as its should be.
    But now my back side of my arm is kinda hurt.. I think its my bad flexibility..
    For that reason I also couldnt keep the lumbar extension becouse the bar rolled always down and its was hard..
    I got the video of today, look better but its only 10 lb each side..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBE6VqIEJs
    I also tried to get my knees as you said..

Now I'm sure the bar is my problem but since no one knows how it should be placed on my back in my gym, I got no one to help me and even the book didnt help me.
    I feel my squat is lost..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast