starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all - first post here on the SS forums. Here's my second working set at 305 lbs (today's PR), can you let me know how it looks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTtLregMZUw

My own thoughts are that the chest isn't quite lifted enough but otherwise, I think it's all right? Maybe my hips are a bit on the high side... Also, I need real shoes (working on that).

Thanks everyone!

Hips are coming up early.

Basically, the thing I was coached to remember, "Hips and shoulders rise at the same time". Right now, your knee extensors are doing their job of extending the knee, but the hip extensors are not doing their job of holding the pelvis in place while they're extending, in order for the bar to rise at the same rate the hips do. Either focus on "hips and shoulders at the same time" or "chest up, push the floor away".

I hope I was able to explain that. But besides that, looks alright too my eye.

P.S. Get some weightlifting shoes.

I am no coach and I am no expert when it comes to these matters, but your back appears quite rounded to me.

Also, your shoes suck.

Focus on squeezing the weight off the floor rather than jerking it like you are now.

Its not bad, the weight is pretty decent too. Theres only one problem and that is you're lifting your hips up before you lift your chest up. This results in that jerk. Push your hips abit lower, you're thigh should be almost parallel to the floor, and the lift chest up first, then hips and you're good. You look strong. Good luck!

Lifting your chest up will fix most of your form errors (there are a few, but irrelevant until your drive your chest up).

You should be quite uncomfortable once your chest is UP in the correct position.

Fix what is most germaine to the exercise first. I heard that somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by damonwells View Post
    Lifting your chest up will fix most of your form errors (there are a few, but irrelevant until your drive your chest up).

You should be quite uncomfortable once your chest is UP in the correct position.

Fix what is most germaine to the exercise first. I heard that somewhere...
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll work first on getting my chest up and we'll see what else fixes itself along with that.

It felt great to hit 300 lbs, even with fairly linear progression - now to see how much higher I can get it...

Tracked down a pair of mid-high Chuck Taylor All-Stars! Finally, a proper weightlifting shoe. Should add at least 50, maybe 100 lbs to my next lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Save the jerking for your alone time. If you start the lift more slowly, building up the pressure, you will probably stay otherwise tight and solve all your problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast