starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krump's 20 rep squats

Default Krump's 20 rep squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have stalled for the third time on the advanced novice program. Before that I was on the regular novice program until I stalled three times. My last stall was demoralizing so I am taking a break from the SS program for a while until I get my morale back. In the mean time I am going to try to build my resolve by giving the 20 rep squat program a shot for 6 weeks. It will either make me or break me.

Prior stats as of March 10:

bodyweight 190 @ 6 feet
    squat 265x5x3
    dead lift 325x5
    press 125x5x3
    bench 175x5x3

March 18

squat 185x20

This was my first go at 20 rep squats. I didn't really know what weight to start with. I saw a few different formulas for calculating starting weight but they seemed off. I decided to start 90 pounds below my 5 rep max which would have been 175 but of course I flubbed that up and accidentally made it 185.

This was hard. Once I got 14 reps I thought, "This was a mistake. I should have started with lighter weight." Once I got to 16 I thought, "I can't do this anymore. Hell, this is my first try, I just started with too much on the bar, 16 is fine for the first try." Then I decided to try just one more and that one seemed easier than the 16th so I figured I could grind out the last three. Reps 19 and 20 were brutal - my body was failing to stay tight. After I racked the 20th rep I collapsed. It was awesome. The only thing I could compare that feeling to was how I sometimes felt 20+ miles into a long run (I used to be a distance runner).

After I felt strong enough to walk, I dead lifted 185x15 from a deficit. These felt similarly hard but between reps I could stand and rest without holding the weight so it wasn't quite the same. I suppose I could do them RDL style so when I rested I would have to hold the bar standing upright. I don't think I have the guts to do that - I couldn't do as much weight at least that is for sure.
    Last edited by Krump; 03-27-2010 at 01:51 PM.

March 23

Second time trying 20 rep squats. Today I weighed in at 185 because I was initially trying to lose weight. I scrapped that idea and am going to do this program properly so I will be eating plenty from now-on. This time the squats were much easier than last time. Reps 19 and 20 were very difficult again but not comparable to the first workout.

Dead lift 195x15. I am seriously considering doing these RDL style to punish myself even more. I would have to drop the weight though. Maybe next time I will at least give it a try.
    Last edited by Krump; 03-27-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Since my little trial run is over and I am now ready to commit to the program, I drafted up my routine. There are several versions of the 20 rep squat program so I made a version that is similar to all of them but customized to my liking.

M
    Squat 1x20
    Pullover 1x20
    Press 2x10
    Dead lift 1x15

W
    Squat 1x20
    Pullover 1x20
    Bent row 2x10

F
    Squat 1x20
    Pullover 1x20
    Bench 2x10
    Dead lift 1x15

Tomorrow is the first day of the program. I need to buy some milk.
    Last edited by Krump; 03-27-2010 at 01:52 PM.

March 27

First "official" day. Started with "Friday" workout today so I can lift W/F/Su.

squat 195x20

It was tougher than 190 but still not as bad as my first experience with them. reps 8-18 seemed harder than remembered but my body wasn't crumbling at reaps 19 and 20 - I think I am started to get used to standing with the weight on my back.

pull-overs 25x20

These are in the original program as a "stretching/expanding" exercise. I didn't feel like I got much out of these except for a little stretch in my shoulders. Whatever.

bench 120x10, 125x10

I have never done a 10 rep set on bench so I started conservatively. No problem.

RDL 175x15

I converted the deads to RDLs and did them touch-and-go so I would have to hold the bar in my hands the hole set. I did double overhand but I had to rack at 8 to re-grip and then the bar slipped from my hands on the last rep just before lockout. Not sure if I will keep doing them RDL style because grip strength-stamina is clearly the weak link. I may switch back to conventional deads w double overhand grip.
    Last edited by Krump; 03-29-2010 at 02:58 PM.

March 29

schedule a little off - did Wed workout today

Squat 200x20

Felt about the same as my last two workouts at 195 and 190. Still not as hard as my first time ever doing them. I am getting a good rhythm down with the breathing.

Pullovers 25x20

Bent row 115x10x2

Have never really done these before and it felt like it. Will read the bent row section in SS. Will probably re-do this weight again and try to nail the form.

Good stuff.
    I am planning on doing the 20 rep routine when I exhaust linear progression on 3x5, will follow your log with interest.

March 31

Got my schedule aligned finally. Instead of lifting M/W/F I am lifting W/F/Su. Did W workout today.

Squat 205x20

This was a very memorable set. Over the last few workouts I have been working on developing a good breathing rhythm. Today things started off great. I just took one breath in between each rep until rep 8. After rep 7 I took two breaths, came up, took one breath and did rep 9. I took two more breaths with the intention of getting rep ten, coming up for one breath and hitting rep 11 before deciding to either take 2 or 3 breaths and go from there. But, as every living human being knows, a lot of times things just don't go how you intend them to. I went down for rep ten and the right collar of the barbell hit the pin (it was one of those squat racks with fixed pins). As a result I couldn't get a bounce out of the hole. I lost my tightness, almost lost my balance, and ended up grinding out the rep. After that hell-of-a rep I was way out of my comfort zone. My breathing was severely elevated and I think I took 5 or 6 breaths after that rep. So much for breathing rhythm. I continued from there going rep by rep, trying to regain control of my breathing. It wasn't happening. By rep 16 I was beyond out of my comfort zone. I was afraid. Overwhelmed with fear actually. I was on the verge of panicking. The next 4 reps were one of the best experiences I have had all year. I can only describe it as feeling very alive. Awesome. This is what I wanted to experience when I started 20 rep squats. Pure awesomeness.

Since hitting that pin threw me way off I have no idea what to expect 210 to be like.

Pullovers 25x20

Press 80x10, 85x10

This was my first time pressing for ten reps so I went fairly conservative. Not very difficult. May go up 5 or 10 pounds next week depending on feel.

DL 200x15

Just standard dead lifts. Not particularly hard but my quads and hip flexors were quite fatigued by the time I reached my last 5 reps.
    Last edited by Krump; 03-31-2010 at 09:24 PM.

April 2

I got to the gym today and it was closed. Doors locked, lights off. No sign explaining why. I can only assume they are closed for Easter weekend. I had two workouts scheduled for this weekend too. Annoying.

So I just did 4 80 meter sprints today. Helped me to blow off my frustration. Tomorrow I will probably do some conditioning and then lift M/W/F/Su next week barring any more unexpected gym closings.

starting strength coach development program
    April 3

Gym still closed. Did 3 rounds w a 47lb dumb bell of:

Hang clean and jerk x 5 per side
    High swings x 15
    RDL into row x 10 per side
    Goblet squat x 20
    Run 200 meters
    Rest as necessary

Getting antsy to get back in the gym. I hope my little layoff doesn't disrupt my progress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast