starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Decisions About TM and Powerlifting

Default Help With Decisions About TM and Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've exhausted linear gains. I decided that after last Saturday, which is when my first powerlifting meet was, I was going to switch up my programming.

I initially decided that the Texas Method made the most sense. I mean, why not? It seemed like the logical decision.

However, I'm not sure what to do. This is due to the fact that I received contrary advice from the experienced powerlifters in my gym. They say I can train with them if I want. They talked to me about figuring out my "weak" spots and doing special exercises to bring those weaknesses up (board presses, stuff with bands/chains, etc.). They also due a lot of dynamic effort work. I believe they follow a program from Iron Gym in Omaha, NE.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they aren't aware of adaptation/recovery models. In general, I feel stupid trying to tell these guys that they don't know what they're talking about. I mean, they total around 2000 at competitions. I just totaled 1025...so you can see what I'm talking about with respect to my lack of confidence in rejecting their recommendation.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice or insight? Could I incorporate some of the stuff they do? It is kind of a cool opportunity to join their group. I doubt I would get worse. Or, does it just make the most sense to go with plain TM programming (Volume day, Recovery day, Intensity day)?

If it helps:
    Male, 25 yo, 210 lbs.
    Squat: 315 x 3 sets of 5 reps (1rm 355)
    Bench: 242 x 3 sets of 5 reps (1rm 260)
    Deadlift: 410 x 5 reps (1rm 450)
    Press: 157 x 3 sets of 5 reps
    Power Clean: 198.5 x 5 sets of 3 reps

Any opinions on this topic would be appreciated.

Are those 1RMs the lifts you hit in competition?

As much as weekly progression is probably better at this point for you in theory, in practice, being able to train with really strong people can be very helpful. The big question is whether they'll be having you do crazy stuff or stuff suited for your level of adaptation. I mean, DE/speed work and stuff with bands and chains can be used productively at your level, but they can also be used unproductively. But, yeah, just being in the same room as somebody squatting six wheels [per side, of course] can be a big motivator to drive up the lifts.

The powerlifters you mentioned are doing what is called the Conjugate Method. It is very effective for advanced (progression wise) lifters. You aren't there yet. You really haven't accrued any weak points as of yet that require specialized training.

I would suggest that you thank them for their advice and offers of training, but go with your decision on the Texas Method. You will grow stronger more quickly at this stage of the game doing such.

TM is good stuff. You might still be able to make progress on an "advanced novice" type program for your squats, with 3x5s on Mon and Fri and 3x3 front squat or 2x5 light back squats on Wed. For the PL guys, I would just say that you are still pretty weak relative to them, and that you think you should just focus on the big lifts for a while until you get better numbers. I would definitely try to hang out with them, though. My gym has several 400+ benchers*, and it is very helpful both in terms of motivation and being able to talk to them about technique and so forth. If you do TM, you could start doing DE work on Friday, but I think DE stuff is better for the geared lifter than the raw lifter, though my opinion is not expert.

* On Monday, I did my 240#x5,5,5 as a part of linear progression. The guy on the bench next to mine did 465#x3, 485#x1, 315#x20, all in the same workout. Holy shit!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadTheMeatBeast View Post
    This is due to the fact that I received contrary advice from the experienced powerlifters in my gym. They say I can train with them if I want. They talked to me about figuring out my "weak" spots and doing special exercises to bring those weaknesses up (board presses, stuff with bands/chains, etc.). They also due a lot of dynamic effort work. I believe they follow a program from Iron Gym in Omaha, NE.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they aren't aware of adaptation/recovery models. In general, I feel stupid trying to tell these guys that they don't know what they're talking about. I mean, they total around 2000 at competitions. I just totaled 1025...so you can see what I'm talking about with respect to my lack of confidence in rejecting their recommendation.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice or insight? Could I incorporate some of the stuff they do? It is kind of a cool opportunity to join their group. I doubt I would get worse.
    do you compete in the same org as they do? if so, then they obviously know how to get big numbers in that org. you will probably learn a lot more from training with these guys than you ever will reading a book. i don't powerlift but from reading comments from those who do, they seem to take great value in having great training partners, especially when those partners are stronger than you.

oh yeah, regarding the bolded part, i'm sure they know what they are talking about. hopefully someone who trained with good/great powerlifters can chime in to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadTheMeatBeast View Post
    In general, I feel stupid trying to tell these guys that they don't know what they're talking about. I mean, they total around 2000 at competitions. I just totaled 1025...so you can see what I'm talking about with respect to my lack of confidence in rejecting their recommendation.
    What fed do they lift in? You have to take that into consideration. If they lift in a fed that allows multi ply squat suits and wide stance half squats out of a monolift, their numbers are grossly inflated and their training methods may not be suitable for you.

The Texas Method is a great program, but I would gladly trade any and all freedom in my programming to train w/ dedicated lifters much stronger than me and see what happens.

People talk a lot of shit about squat suits, monolifts, etc., but don't realize that a lot of the guys will train raw at the beginning of their cycles and move into gear as they approach their meets. Strong is strong, gear or not.

I guarantee you they are very knowledgeable and the concepts in practical programming aren't the most difficult to grasp.

I would honestly give their program a try for at least 8 weeks. If it isn't working, then do your thing, but a solid training environment, guys giving form feedback and cues, and just the pressure to perform in front a new group of strong people is well worth the deviation from 'the program' in my opinion.

You will probably find that what they do is pretty similar to the Texas Method or at least was created in with stress/recovery/adaptation in mind.

Speed work reminds me a lot of the back off days in the Texas Method as well and I've slowly begun incorporating into my training as such.

Just don't switch to Sumo deadlifting full time as somebody will at least get you to try it.

Thank you to everyone for their insight.

@gzt:
    Only the deadlift 1rm listed was matched in competition. The other 1rm's listed were achieved one week before the competition. I wasn't quite able to match those numbers in the comp, which means I was not properly recovered. Live and learn.

@Baker:
    I'm not sure if they exclusively lift in one fed or another. But, I do know they use gear. I have not used gear. Also, I am certain they have knowledge on how to get stronger. The question is whether their knowledge applied to me will yield better results than a program that is less sophisticated in programming, such as TM.

@Kerpal
    I am not sure which fed they lift in. However, I have seen them train. Our gym has a monolift, and they use that. I have also seen them performing squats/benches/deadlifts. I have seen "legit" squatting, depth-wise.

I'd jump on it. As long as you're doing the full lifts a good proportion of the time and don't get injured, seriously strong training partners will probably be much more helpful to your progress than maximally efficient training. If you turn down the opportunity, well, five years from now you might not have the opportunity to train with seriously strong people. But you can always use the Texas Method (at least, until you're too advanced for it).

starting strength coach development program
    Why don't you just show them PPST? Tell them you used the novice linear progression to get to where you are now, and that you don't think you're at the point in your training yet where you need to do advanced programming. I don't see why this has to be an "either or" thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast