starting strength gym

Thread: choosing how much weight to increase lifts by weekly in texas method?

Default choosing how much weight to increase lifts by weekly in texas method?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been adding 2.5lbs to my presses on starting strength. I've stalled and resetted and now I need to do an intermediate program. Texas method has you increasing your bench and your press every second Friday respectively. Should I continue adding 2.5lbs a time or does the fact that they are each only increased every second week mean I can add more?

Welp, as far as I can understand, you're adding 2.5 or even less to your 5x5 sets and your Friday PRs depending on your ability to adapt. I doubt you can add more, but you can try.

as much as you can handle and still do your 1x5, 5x5 respectively. probably only a couple of lbs a pop, i'd presume at the start you could make 5lb jumps, but not for long.

I know it isn't part of the "Gospel of Rippetoe", but something good I found with presses was to be progressing with 3x5, then when you stall instead of resetting, just drop down to 3x3 and keep progressing, then when you stall there go back to 3x5 right around where you stalled with 3x5 last time. This worked for me so far (though 170#x3 isn't really that great, I'm still progressing) and for another guy who suggested it to me who got up to ~200#x3 with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I've been adding 2.5lbs to my presses on starting strength. I've stalled and resetted and now I need to do an intermediate program. Texas method has you increasing your bench and your press every second Friday respectively. Should I continue adding 2.5lbs a time or does the fact that they are each only increased every second week mean I can add more?
    I think that progressing by 5 lb would be very good, considering that you have a 5RM on heavy day. After some time maybe you'll have to lower the progress to 2.5lb.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    I think that progressing by 5 lb would be very good, considering that you have a 5RM on heavy day. After some time maybe you'll have to lower the progress to 2.5lb.
    Was that your experience?

It's just 5lbs a month would be pretty depressing lol

Was that your experience?

It's just 5lbs a month would be pretty depressing lol
    Well you would be adding 10 lb a month (5lb every 2 weeks), 120 lb a year, and that's not that bad considering that he's intermediate.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Well you would be adding 10 lb a month (5lb every 2 weeks), 120 lb a year, and that's not that bad considering that he's intermediate.
    No I mean if I had to add 2.5lbs to my bench and press every second week respectively, that would be 5lbs a month each. I would be delighted i I could increase them by 5lbs a week. That would only be 5lbs less a month than what I've been getting out of starting strength recently.

No I mean if I had to add 2.5lbs to my bench and press every second week respectively, that would be 5lbs a month each. I would be delighted i I could increase them by 5lbs a week. That would only be 5lbs less a month than what I've been getting out of starting strength recently.
    I think you can handle a 5lb jump every two weeks. The only way to find out is to try

starting strength coach development program
    You can always drop, right? If you find yourself only getting 3-4 reps instead of the 5, then drop the weight. If you keep completing the sets as prescribed, keep going...

I know you want the fastest gains possible, but remember this is a long term lifesyle...Like mentioned in the above post. Even if you increased "only" 5 lbs a month for a year it would still be a 60 lbs increase on presses. Going from something like 135 lbs to 195 lbs for 5 reps would be a good gain in a year...