starting strength gym

Thread: Am I divebombing?

Default Am I divebombing?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_kR0tAUvQ

It just occurred to me that my pace is quite fast for my squats, especially on the way down, when compared to other videos I've seen. The last rep is quite ugly, as I hit a major sticking point. Saw spots for the first time during this set. pretty cool.

Would slowing it up on the way down make it a little easier to get out of the hole? I imagine it might make it easier to keep my knees out? Maybe I'm over-analyzing

Only got 4 reps on the third set at this weight.
    Last edited by tweakxc03; 03-31-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Hi,

I think your speed is fine, you don't seem to be losing too much control.
    I also think you might want to concentrate more on shoving your knees out. In the last two reps especially your knees cave in a bit.

IPB

thanks...

yes, knees out is definitely one of the things i am working on. I get them out fine but they want to cave in on the way up, particularly my left.

Speed looks good to me. If anything, most of you reps are actually below parallel. This is not a bad thing, just realize that it takes more work to lift the bar from below parallel than right at parallel. Just for shits and giggles you should try stopping at parallel and see if that is easier for you.

.... I thought Rip said you had to go below parallel, otherwise it's not a squat.

i'm not worried about depth... just getting strong.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Just for shits and giggles you should try stopping at parallel and see if that is easier for you.
    In my opinion, he should go as low as possible without compromising form. If he can get far below parallel sans rounding his lumbar spine, he should, so as to transfer the force to the glute and hamstring muscles, rather than cutting short and transferring that force to the knees

Quote Originally Posted by METAL VIPER View Post
    In my opinion, he should go as low as possible without compromising form. If he can get far below parallel sans rounding his lumbar spine, he should, so as to transfer the force to the glute and hamstring muscles, rather than cutting short and transferring that force to the knees
    A proper low-bar squat (i.e. just below parallel) does not put any force on the knees.

starting strength coach development program
    Those are some good looking squats, IMO. Well done.