starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdWxf8lBq_A

First time with 2 wheels per side.

Minor butt wink and that last rep looked loose.

I should start calling these "Hot Bodybuilding Women" so I get a few more form critiques.

Thank you City, apparently everyone else thinks it's perfect form/

Knees are coming forward a tiny bit on the way back up, focus on keeping the knees pulled back, for max hamstring tension. And every rep was a couple inches past parallel, try stopping the descent at parallel. Otherwise not bad.

Butt wink is pretty pronounced, enough so that I would do something about it. You're a couple inches below parallel, to continue going that deep your knees would need to come forward more to keep the bar centered and get rid of the back rounding. Or you can keep sitting back that far and stop the squat at parallel and keep a hard back arch, I'd recommend that approach. That will be better for the hips and hamstrings, instead of "quad squatting" it. Other things like foot placement and hip angles could be at play here too, but tough to tell with that view.

As the set goes on you get lazier with your back though, you begin by leaning forward instead of pushing your hips back, and your back rounds almost immediately. The first rep looked good up until you go so deep that you have to round your back big time. The squats get higher and higher as the set goes on too, on the first rep you look perfect when you reach parallel, learn to cut it there and fire back up. It will be tough, but remember to stay tight and work hard throughout the entire set, don't get lazy at the end.

And one more thing, just to give you a hard time, don't call them "wheels" until you've got 4 or 5 on each side. haha.

Thanks Jason, I'll work on it, great tips. It does feel like my morphology won't allow me to go that deep with an arched back, but I didn't want to wimp out. I'll try cutting them off when I feel the arch going away.
    And one more thing, just to give you a hard time, don't call them "wheels" until you've got 4 or 5 on each side. haha.
    If I get to 5 on each side, I assume I can call them whatever I want and everyone will agree with me!

While you are going well below parallel, the advice above that you should stop just at parallel is not correct. You need to get the crease of your hip below the top of the patella, or you are not getting full depth. Where you stop it after that point is up to you and your hamstrings, but since you are going a few inches below that on some of your reps and experiencing some lumbar flexion, you are obviously going too low.

Here are the goals:
    • You need to break parallel, not just get to parallel.
    • Active hip needs to be maintained. This is a great article that I have recommended several times.
    • Butt wink is not a problem. Lumbar flexion is. If your glutes stretch at the bottom and change shape, resulting in what some would call butt wink, that is nothing to be concerned about. It is natural. It is fine. If your pelvis unlocks and drags your lower back along with it, that is a problem.

Thanks Tom,

yes I read that article and you made that comment on my thread, where you also said post a video, so thanks again.

If I read the book one more time I will rip someones adductors out, so let me make sure I get it.

You want to have a rigid, arched back throughout the squat

The arch can lessen somewhat at the bottom, but not so much that your back rounds.

Instead of endlessly discussing it here I'll probably just squat and try to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    Thanks Tom,

yes I read that article and you made that comment on my thread, where you also said post a video, so thanks again.

If I read the book one more time I will rip someones adductors out, so let me make sure I get it.

You want to have a rigid, arched back throughout the squat

The arch can lessen somewhat at the bottom, but not so much that your back rounds.

Instead of endlessly discussing it here I'll probably just squat and try to figure it out.
    This is correct. And if you aren't focusing on knees out already, do it - rounding is often due to knees caving in.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    Sorry about that. I can't remember who I recommended it to already. I am nothing if not repetitive.