starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to have a stroke if my press doesn't go up

Default I'm going to have a stroke if my press doesn't go up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My press hasn't moved since January, yet my bench has not had this problem. This is obviously a form problem, but I don't know what's going wrong. My forearms don't seem to be vertical no matter how hard I try, and there's weird uneven extension. What the fuck is this?

Of course, a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCnHmXuUFU

Video contains my first warm up sets, my failed worksets, and two back-off sets.
    Last edited by Mr.City; 04-01-2010 at 12:38 AM.

What do I know, but your forearms are out (instead of vertical), and you start pretty leaned back, then don't get aggressively under the bar. I actually do touch my nose often going up and down, and really get under it the minute the bar passes my forehead.

Grip closer, and oh yeah, really try to almost sit the bar on your palms instead of grab it--the stronger your thumb grip the more the bar sits on your pinky.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    I actually do touch my nose often going up and down, and really get under it the minute the bar passes my forehead.
    Just what I was going to say. At first I was going to complain about how the camera angle sucks, but it's actually perfect for noticing that you're pushing the bar too far out from your face. Ideally it should come as close to scraping your nose as possible without actually hitting it.

Fuck, I thought I was getting it close enough.

It is difficult to tell accurately from the camera angle, but I think I agree that the bar might not be close enough. When you totally stall, it does look like the bar is a few inches in front of your face - though this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem on your backoff sets. Also, I find it is easier to maintain proper bar path when my elbows are slightly in front of the bar, but that could just be me.

My elbows seem to drop after the first few reps. What could be causing that?

I think your abs are weak. Also try doing what Starr suggests and squeezing your ass muscles tight before the set. you need a stable platform to push from. I think Pavel talks about it in detail too.

If that's the case, my back would be overextending and it would hurt like a motherfucker right now. Besides, I don't see any excessive curving in the video.

I dont see any curving either, but what you're saying is rather than fail you'd try to cheat out the reps? That doesnt need to follow? But since we are talking about YOU actions, i guess you'd know best.

Try tightening up your lower body though, squeeze every muscle in your l.b that you can control, see if that improves the situation. from the bar speed you move that thing fine so i dont think its upper body strength, esp considering your bench.

starting strength coach development program
    I didn't say that. I'm surprised no one is mentioning grip width issues. The first set of 130 was ugly with an uneven extension of one arm. Another guy running SS in the gym says that one shoulder seemed "further back" then the other. Could uneven arm/shoulders be fucking up my press?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast