starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Critique

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Critique

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Everyone,

I was able to get some videos of my squat and deadlift, please leave any critiques that you may have.

Thanks,
    Nicho

Squats 3x5x280 - the videos with "set" in the title are my new ones, the others are the older ones and don't look as good.

Deadlifts look similar in both videos.

WFS http://vimeo.com/user3175834/videos

Your squats look pretty good, although the plates tend to obscure you at the bottom. Your bar speed and aggression under the bar are excellent. One thing I noticed is that your knees slide forward shortly after your ascent. You'll also notice this is where the bar slows down. I think this happens in some cases because you drive your butt back instead of up at the bottom and open the knee angle without moving the weight. You are moving the emphasis from the hamstrings to the quads in the middle of the ascent by letting the knees come forward and lifting the chest. Just keep driving up with the hips the whole way and do your best to keep those knees planted during the lower half of the squat. It will make you happier.

Squats: You're raising your chest to finish the lockout. This becomes more pronounced the further the set goes. Usually is fixed by keeping your back tight - focus on making a big chest before each rep.
    Last edited by Nauticus; 04-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Thank you guys for the advice, I try and focus on those points when I squat next.

On your deadlifts, your back is not straight when you begin the lift. I would suggest really squeezing your chest up just before the pull. Make sure your back is in extension. As rip says, it should be a difficult position to get into.