starting strength gym

Thread: Applescruffette's SS log

Default Applescruffette's SS log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 5 feet 6 inches, 132-ish pounds (haven't weighed myself for a few days), 30 years old. I'm female too, if my user name doesn't insinuate that properly enough.

I've been doing SS loosely since October because I didn't have proper equipment (the bar mainly being improper--I have learned you don't do cleans with a 1-inch-diameter bar because you'll mess up your back for a month), but I've been plugging away consistently since about the beginning of January. I used to be at my heaviest 235 pounds nonpregnant and 252 pregnant, but I dropped all the way to 112 pounds (!) about 4 years ago and remained at 115 pounds up until last year, pretty much by diet only with some sporadic cardio. The weight loss left me VERY weak and VERY deconditioned, the poster child of skinny fat. I eventually became very tired of being so damned skinny and weak, especially in the arms and legs.

I commenced my weightlifting journey with a shitty program in March 2009. The shitty program got me to gain some muscle, so my weight in October was about 124 pounds. I am a hopelessly piss-poor athlete, but I try hard anyway.

My numbers for Thursday...
    Squat - 132x5x3 (REALLY excited about this weight, but it was tough!)
    Bench Press - 73x5x3 (piece of cake today)
    Back extensions - 25x10x3 (I don't have a formal back extension apparatus for this exercise but I can use 2 of my benches together to do this exercise.)
    Chinups -3 sets, reps of 5, 8, and 7 with my thickest bands because I'm a chinning wuss so far, but I am improving. The sets look messed up like that because I pissed around on the first set and thus couldn't do as many as the other sets.

Congratulations on the bodyweight squat! And of course, the overall transformation you've done. What an inspiration!

Tonya
    Last edited by TonyaB; 04-02-2010 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

Whoops. Double post.
    Last edited by TonyaB; 04-02-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Double Post

Yay, Applescruffete posts a log! Whoo hoo!
    You don't have to be athletic to get under the bar! Just stubborn!

Saturday's workout--
    Squat-134x5x3. I was conservative with this weight increase because 132 was pretty tough on Thursday, but 134 wasn't terribly hard today.
    Press-65x5x3-I actually should have done 64 because I missed a rep last time with the press at 64, but I mistakenly loaded it with 65. It worked out, though. The last rep was a pisser, but I got it up.
    Deadlift-164x5x1-These went up fairly easily, once they broke off the ground.

My sleep for the last couple of days has been less than ideal, but I'm happy with these weights regardless.

Nice squat numbers there. You can do it. And, I share your pain about the misloaded press. I've done it before, thinking that that the 95 lbs on the bar was actually 115 lbs. I was frustrated when I found out after all 3 work sets were done.

starting strength coach development program
    Way to go! And you're almost 1/2 your bw on the press too.

Tonya