starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isis and the Barbell

Default Isis and the Barbell

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks to Gwynn, TonyaB, applescruffette and tennies for the inspiration to start a log here.

I'm 43, 148 lbs, 5'6", and have been lifting since a year ago September. After rehab from knee surgery, my surgeon told me to "go lift weights and get strong." So I went looking for a weightlifting book for beginners on Amazon, found Starting Strength, and discovered that playing with heavy toys can be a lot of fun. Novice progression took a year, with some interruptions, and I've been making progress on the Texas method since last fall, except for the upper body lifts where an injured shoulder was holding me back. The shoulder is now pain-free and I'm working on getting my upper body strength back to what it was.

My workout schedule often gets extra rest days thrown in because the rest of my life gets in the way, but that doesn't seem to stop the TM from working.

Default Intensity Day

I didn't have enough time to do all of my intensity day workout yesterday so I finished it this morning.

I use kilogram plates, so the numbers are kg x reps x sets.

yesterday:

Squat
    20 x 5 x 2
    50 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 1
    87 x 5

Bench Press
    15 x 5 x 2
    20 x 5
    24 x 5 x 3

today:

Power Clean
    15 x 3 x 2
    25 x 4
    35 x 3
    40 x 2
    45 x 1
    45 x 3 x 6

Chinups x 5 x 3 with an 0.5 kg plate

I just started benching again this week and am starting really light and plan to take a couple weeks to work the weights back up. 24 was easy. I lost focus on my 3rd set of power cleans and missed two reps so I did a 6th set.

Awesome! What a strong squat. Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus.

Another woman's log to follow! I envy your squat and chin-up numbers.

Default Volume Day

Squat
    20 x 5 x 2
    50 x 5
    70 x 3
    80 x 5 x 5

Bench Press
    15 x 5 x 2
    20 x 5
    24 x 5
    28 x 5 x 3

Halting Deadlift
    40 x 5
    70 x 5
    85 x 3
    98 x 8 (alternate grip)

Pullups x 4 x 2
    Pullups x 3

About a week ago I decided to try creatine and started taking 6g/day. Maybe it's too early to say if it's definitely helping or not, but today instead of barely getting through the last few reps of the 5x5, they felt surprisingly good. And afterwards I felt like I had enough energy to tackle a 6th set, which I didn't do, but this is the first time I've ever had that thought.

On the other hand, I am definitely retaining water--maybe 2 or 3 pounds. But not retaining it in the usual places. I can tell by the way my clothes fit that it's in my shoulders, back, butt and thighs. The same pair of jeans I wore four days ago is now tight in the thighs. My bra strap is tighter around the chest. The pants thing is bumming me out a little...in my 18 months of lifting I've gained about 10 pounds and worn the same jeans the whole time, and suddenly they're too tight.

Default Recovery Day

Power Clean
    15 x 3 x 3
    25 x 3
    35 x 3
    40 x 2
    45 x 1
    45.5 x 3 x 5

Press
    8 x 5 x 2
    15 x 5
    21 x 5
    26.5 x 5 x 5

Front Squat
    20 x 5 x 2
    40 x 3
    55 x 3
    61 x 3 x 3

Overhead Squat
    8 x 8 x 2
    16 x 8
    23 x 8 x 3

The creatine is definitely working...not only did my presses feel a lot lighter than normal, enough lighter that I had to check the bar to make sure I loaded it right, but I was feeling ready for the next set a couple minutes sooner than usual. I was expecting the squats and power cleans to be a struggle because I was still feeling tired and slow from Sunday's squats, but they weren't hard either.

You're my hero isis. Very cool, especially given the time frame you've made these accomplishments.

I'm interested how you will deal with the increasing pants sizes. That's something I will surely struggle with.

Tonya

I dealt with the pants size problem today...by going shopping.

Ha ha. I meant mentally. But obviously a butt that is muscle looks better in bigger pants that butt that is covered in a layer of fluff.

starting strength coach development program
    That's exactly it Tonya and there's really not much fluff left on me. I decided not to worry because the creatine water weight is reversible if I just stop taking it, and wearing some bigger pants for a while seems like it will be worth it if it gets my ever-frustrating press to move up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast