starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and Clean form check

Default Squat and Clean form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, I'm pretty new to both of these lifts. Thanks for any feedback.

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLl2jfcHgQ

Power Clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chhyeRi69RU

Thanks again.

Those are decent looking high bar squats, but most folks around here (myself included), would recommend the low bar style. You also could probably add 75 or 100 pounds to that bar and still squat it. Those looked very light for you.

You clean has a few issues. You don't set your back in extension before the pull and your butt is too low. I realize you don't have the proper spacing from the floor without bumper plates, but your setup still needs work. During your pull, you have a tendency to try and move the bar around your knees. You want the bar moving in a straight line. You jump too early (before your hips open all the way) and your arms are often bent when the jump happens. Lastly, you are catching the bar in your hands instead of driving the elbows aggressively up and racking it on your shoulders.

I highly recommend getting a hold of Starting Strength, perhaps both the book and DVD. They deal with theses issues very thoroughly and represent money well spent.

Thanks alot for the feedback.

I'm pretty new to these lifts, so the high bar squat get felt natural to me, I'll try and get it a little lower.

Thanks for all the tips on my clean.

I'm going to be getting the book soon, thanks again.

Is there a problem with high bar squats? I tried to get the bar lower tonight, but just feels awkward.

Squat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVoBatAaiY

I know my deadlift is bad, I just need help figuring out what I'm doing wrong. Is the lift supposed to be two motions (extend legs, then back)? Or extend the legs and back simultaneously? I think the latter is what I'm doing and its throwing my lift all outta whack.

Deadlift - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4US9C2O6ng

Thanks

Your wrists are causing me pain--do you have the book (SS) Abmon?

You don't want them bending back like that.

SS suggests you just do deadlifts instead of cleans for a good while till you learn how to move your body correctly. This is a really good idea.

Your deadlifts have a ways to go.

Everything is explained in the book in detail, but if you dont have it check the SS seminar videos on youtube and the SS wikia page.

Your starting position is wrong (need hips higher)

You should straighten legs first while maintaining the same back angle.

After the bar clears your knees, push the hips forwards and stand tall with chest pushed up/out.

- You are currently finishing without standing up straight, which is strange.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 04-05-2010 at 04:42 PM.

When you get the book definitely make sure you read up on how to do low bar correctly. Your wrists should not be supporting the weight nor should they be bent like that or else you are going to develop very sore wrists. It may take some working to get used to it but I assure you once you get the low bar positioning correct it will be more comfortable than high bar.

Some pointers in the mean time: Retract your shoulder blades and squeeze to make a solid little shelf for the bar on your rear delts. In the vid it doesn't look like you are contracting a tight back at all. Your hands and thumb should be wrapped around the top of the bar with straight wrists, not bent backwards. Push the bar down into the shelf you created on the back of your rear delts with the base of your palms - the hands and wrists are not holding the bar up, they are securing it into your shelf by pushing it into your back.
    Last edited by Krump; 04-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks guys. I'll be deployed here soon and will be reading it cover to cover a couple of times I'm sure.

Thanks for all the tips.

Richie

Ok, so I'm working on the wrist problems. Trying to get my wrists straight over the bar really hurts the shoulders, but getting there.

Tonight I took some advice I've read on the forums and set up facing away from the mirrors, made at world of difference. Strange that it does, but the exercises seemed to click, they just felt right. That's the only way I can describe it. Next time I'll bring a camera and see if my form is actually any better.

Richie

starting strength coach development program
    Have you tried doing shoulder dislocates with a broomstick?

They are extremely effective at warming up ans loosening shoulder muscles for a more comfortable squat grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast