starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sub-1 hour workouts?

Default sub-1 hour workouts?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Found out last week that there is an awesome gym across the road from my office.

I just finished my second lunchtime workout. It took me an hour and a half - including getting changed before and getting showered after ...ie I was half an hour late back from lunch, though thankfully no one noticed.

Does anyone work out in their lunch hour? and if so, how the f**k do you get it all done and get back to work in time?

I'm wondering if I could spread my week's workouts over four sessions?

...maybe following the old CFWF program but without the conditioning?

maybe something like:

MON: Squat, Press 3x5
    TUES: Power Cleans 5x3
    WED: Rest
    THURS: Squat, Bench 3x5
    FRI: Deadlift 1x5

does anyone else have any recommendations?

do whatever it takes to cut down on time....less work sets (maybe just 1 top set), less movements per day, whatever. as long as you are progressing then you're good.

You actually get an hour for lunch?

Cut down working sets, exercises, things like that. Don't cut down warmups. If you don't have time to warm up properly, you don't have time to work out. I'm usually 20-25 minutes after I step into the gym before I finish my first working set on the squats (that includes changing and stuff). That means I can be done with squats in an SS-style workout in 30 minutes if I hurry a little. If I'm in a rush, I can probably get through squats and bench in 45 minutes if I start light warmups on the bench supersetted. Squats and a press will keep me at at least 80%. If I'm doing a different style of workout than SS, perhaps I can get something productive done a little faster.

If you're doing the 4 day thing, might as well do some quick conditioning (10 minutes or so) on the day with one exercise if you have time and inclination.

5/3/1 would really suit this kinda time constraint.

Yeah I've looked briefly at 5/3/1 before - isn't knowing what weight to use really complicated?

Thats the beauty of SS for me – I always know exactly how much weight should be on the bar – more than last time!

I've thought about going a bit Dan John-ish again, something like One Lift a Day, or just squats one or two days a week, and just 'lifting things overhead' in various ways on other days, including some oly lifts etc

Trouble is, every time I contemplate these things I imagine Rip screaming at me JUST DO THE FUCKING PROGRAM

...and end up more confused than ever as to what to do for best.

Default Is 4 hours rest between exercises possible/still the program?

Brings up an interesting question: How important to the program is the closeness in time of the various exercises?

Suppose you showed up for work 45 min early and got a five minute row, your squats for the day and a shower, then did your lunchtime workout? (Or, of course, the same thing but after work instead of before). Whether that sounds at all appealling, or not, does anybody know if it should work?

There is evidently good evidence that the calories you consume within 1/2 hour of serious exercise contribute proportionally more to muscle growth -- so you wouldn't want to skimp on your warm up or on your eating, immediately post workout, just to fit it all in in an hour.

5/3/1 is pretty simple, actually, once you get used to the idea behind the percentages. Just make a spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Brings up an interesting question: How important to the program is the closeness in time of the various exercises?

Suppose you showed up for work 45 min early and got a five minute row, your squats for the day and a shower, then did your lunchtime workout? (Or, of course, the same thing but after work instead of before). Whether that sounds at all appealling, or not, does anybody know if it should work?
    That should be fine, though I'd imagine doing, say, deadlifts or cleans might be tough after the break.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    That should be fine, though I'd imagine doing, say, deadlifts or cleans might be tough after the break.
    Do you mean without another 5 minute warm up or just period (without all the activation that doing the squats, first, yields)?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm sure I've read Rip comment before that splitting one day's workout into two sessions is fine. eg. squat and bench at lunch, deadlift after work.

doesn't help me too much though - the point of working out at lunch is that I get to go straight home at the end of the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast