starting strength gym

Thread: Achy Tight Back

Default Achy Tight Back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had a bit of a mishap during my last squat workout - off balance forward into the rack. Even before this occurred, my back seemed tight - especially when trying to put on my shoes. I can also feel a slight soreness when I'm sitting in a chair or in the car. I'm a 45 year old novice still doing A/B schedule for about 6-7 weeks. (Exact info is at home). I was wondering if there is a set of exercises (or possibly stretches) that I could do for my back. Rip talks about using a modified Roman chair in the supplemental portion of SS to do back exercises, but I'm not sure if that makes senses. There is also a mention of not having enough time to recover from deadlifts, but I'm only lifting 280 1 x 5 (on a 200 lb frame) so I would be surprised if I reached that point yet - especially with the deadlift #'s I've seen on this site.

Thoughts?

It's most likely that your lower back muscles are getting bigger and stronger faster than your tendons/ligaments can currently handle. It happened to me and to most everybody on this forum. You can do stretches, etc. It will work itself out over time. Probably nothing to worry about.

Hi there, welcome to the forum. I started this when I was 46 so I know what you are going through. If it just feels tight you probably just need to rest it. Make sure you are doing your warm up sets as well.

I use a technique called stretch lying (see the link below) pretty much all of the time. It's really just about putting your hips and spine in a normal anatomical position ... I think it really helps me maximize recovery. There's a book (you should see a link after clicking this link) that goes into the technique as well as other techniques to use when standing or sitting or bending over. This might all be more than you need but I've benefited from all of it... even to the point of adding a quarter inch to my height (consistent with the claim in the book). I suggest you try following my description of it and buy the book if you want to get into it.

This is just my recommendation, so I hope you get some others and can find something that helps.

http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...d.php?p=111551

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Hi there, welcome to the forum. I started this when I was 46 so I know what you are going through. If it just feels tight you probably just need to rest it. Make sure you are doing your warm up sets as well.

I use a technique called stretch lying (see the link below) pretty much all of the time. It's really just about putting your hips and spine in a normal anatomical position ... I think it really helps me maximize recovery. There's a book (you should see a link after clicking this link) that goes into the technique as well as other techniques to use when standing or sitting or bending over. This might all be more than you need but I've benefited from all of it... even to the point of adding a quarter inch to my height (consistent with the claim in the book). I suggest you try following my description of it and buy the book if you want to get into it.

This is just my recommendation, so I hope you get some others and can find something that helps.

http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...d.php?p=111551

Sounds very similar to Pete Egoscue's material. Have you heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by stl rick View Post
    I had a bit of a mishap during my last squat workout - off balance forward into the rack. Even before this occurred, my back seemed tight - especially when trying to put on my shoes. I can also feel a slight soreness when I'm sitting in a chair or in the car. I'm a 45 year old novice still doing A/B schedule for about 6-7 weeks. (Exact info is at home). I was wondering if there is a set of exercises (or possibly stretches) that I could do for my back. Rip talks about using a modified Roman chair in the supplemental portion of SS to do back exercises, but I'm not sure if that makes senses. There is also a mention of not having enough time to recover from deadlifts, but I'm only lifting 280 1 x 5 (on a 200 lb frame) so I would be surprised if I reached that point yet - especially with the deadlift #'s I've seen on this site.

Thoughts?
    I am 41 and have had back issues on and off for 20+ years. I have found that if I don't either go for a regular deep tissue massage, or do some sort of foam rolling or stretching, that I get very tight, especially in my hip flexors and spinal erector's. My suggestion would be to go see someone well qualified in deep tissue or sports massage, start foam rolling or doing some stretching. I have this book and it has been a great resource for stretching my back and hips.

http://www.amazon.com/Overcome-Neck-...0581626&sr=1-3

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    It's most likely that your lower back muscles are getting bigger and stronger faster than your tendons/ligaments can currently handle. It happened to me and to most everybody on this forum. You can do stretches, etc. It will work itself out over time. Probably nothing to worry about.
    It might be this, or the OP might be doing something wrong. A squat and deadlift form check would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    It might be this, or the OP might be doing something wrong. A squat and deadlift form check would be useful.
    +1
    Post a video if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Sounds very similar to Pete Egoscue's material. Have you heard of it?
    I haven't heard of it but it sounds helpful.

Can anyone point me to tutorial/how to that shows a simple method of posting short videos? I'm thinking the forms on all my lifts could use a review. (I have a digital Sony video camera.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stl rick View Post
    Can anyone point me to tutorial/how to that shows a simple method of posting short videos? I'm thinking the forms on all my lifts could use a review. (I have a digital Sony video camera.)
    Post it to You Tube then just paste the link in a post. If you haven't used You Tube, just go to the site and start an account. It should be pretty easy from there.