starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Problem With the Press

Default The Problem With the Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The press is so damn fickle. Here's my background:

Been on SS since the beginning of January. Got my press up from like 110 to 120. Recently, I've been microloading. Still doing a 3x5 schedule, with both bench press and regular press. I'm typically going heavy on both days. Today I went up for a PR effort of 125, but got 1x5,1x4,1x4.

My question is, should I change the programming to a heavy/light/heavy work week, similar my squat? Or should I change to a 5x3 lifting schedule? Thanks for your input guys.

Have you deloaded yet?

Yes I have, twice. Sorry if that wasn't clear. First time I deloaded, went back up using 5lb jumps. Second and most recent time, I deloaded and went back with 2.5 lbs jumps once i got to 115lbs.

I'm not in any position to give advice on this, but I've been reading through logs and have noticed that the press always gives people problems on SS, and their other lifts continue to climb while their press is stuck in a rut. I'm personally trying to work through that rut right now, and in a couple of weeks I'll know whether or not I can break past it.

It makes sense that linear progression would run out for the press before the other lifts since the press uses the least amount of muscle mass to actually move the weight. But it seems like such a waste to keep trying linear progression for the press just because you're "doing SS".

I dunno. I'm just ranting I guess. Carry on.

It could be form related. I have a low press and after reviewing the video on this forearm, found out that I had plenty of problems with my form.

From my understanding, if you only miss 1-2 reps total you go for it again the next go around, giving yourself up to two workouts to make the weight. Try this and if again you fail (after having deloaded and knowing your diet/sleep is in check), it's time for intermediate programming on the press.

I think people get confused as to when to change programming (novice--> intermediate--> advanced). You do it on a lift to lift basis. Read PPST again if you are still confused.

MC, is that right that you started at 110 and advanced your press to 120-125 in about 3 months?

Sounds like you started at way too high a weight and have been stuck in an ongoing stall practically from the get go. FWIW, I started at 90 and got my press to 155 in about the same amount of time. The other guys I train with experienced similar results.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, I'd suggest deloading to 95-100#, try a couple of 5 lb. jumps, then continue on with 2.5 jumps for as long as you can. Don't get greedy with the weight. Stick with the standard 3 sets x 5 routine. It could be that your morphology doesn't lend itself well to a strong press, but I would think that anyone who follows the SS program correctly for 3 months should be able to see more than a 10-15# increase.

I started a couple of months ago at 95 x 5 x 3. I did 5 lb jumps till about 110 x 5 x 3. I've done 2.5 lb jumps since. I'm up to 142.5 and starting to struggle. Also my bodyweight has increased from 165 to 181 in the same time frame. Good progress is possible but you must be patient...

I've had success moving from three sets of five to five sets of three.

starting strength coach development program
    I personally found that my pressing strength was closely related to my overall upper back strength. When I focused on DL, my presses went up. When I focused on quality reps for chins and pull ups, my presses went up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast