starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wendler's 5/3/1 vs. Texas Method

Default Wendler's 5/3/1 vs. Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Everyone,

I just got done ending the novice phase of SS. At the end I began implementing the Advanced Novice. However, now that I cannot progress any further with it I would like some opinions on what Intermediate programs to choose. I tested my 1RM's. Squat 390 Bench 225 Dead 435. I didn't get a chance to test my press yet.

I'm debating between going on the Texas Method or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. I would like to know is Wendler's for a more "advanced" intermediate as opposed to the Texas Method. All I'm really looking for is to continually get stronger at a good pace. From reading both I got the feeling that I might be able to make more progress starting with the Texas Method than Wendler's.

Thank you,
    Dave

As a foreword, I'll say that I have run the Texas Method and have no experience with 5/3/1. With that being said, I enjoyed the Texas Method (with the exception of Monday). Wednesday is like a breath of fresh air and Friday tests your limits and is short and sweet. I really like the ideas of 5/3/1 but dislike only squatting once a week, but I've seen some alter the deadlift day to include boring-but-big squats as well as putting the BBB bench on press day and vice versa. I would definitely consider running it. I like the idea of getting stronger with less gym time when I'm busy with other shit. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience on 5/3/1 and altering it to squat and bench/press twice weekly.

Texas Method:
    Pros:
    Progress is fast, probably about as fast as it can be.
    Few choices to make. You just do it.
    Do it for several months, perhaps a year, before needing major modifications

Cons:
    Volume day can be brutal.
    Could get boring

5/3/1
    Pros:
    Simple once you figure out the math and choose what exercises you want to focus on and all that.
    Very adaptable format.
    Not going to kill you, but still make good progress.
    Can be fairly quick.

NOTE: A lot of people find that leaving out AMRAP on the 3 days works well.

Cons:
    Less frequent squatting
    Not as fast progress as Texas Method
    Almost too adaptable if you have ADD.

Go with TX Method for sure. It's a fun program that works very, very well. It's an easy jump from the novice program. I've done it and 5/3/1 and saw much better gains on TM. 5/3/1 is fun, adaptable, and all that, but I basically just use it to focus on weak points. Just getting out of the novice stage, everything's still a relatively weak point. Abuse the gains you can get while you can!

You will probably make faster progress using the TM. Either one will get you gains in the long run. Of course, this comes down to personal preference.

I found that I prefer being in the gym for 1 hour 4 times a week rather than the 2 hours of the TM volume day followed by 2 shorter sessions later in the week. Total time in the gym is similar but, schedule wise, it's easier for me to work 5-3-1.

I too found the volume day on TM to be unpleasant. What I am experimenting with right now is a modification that might work a little better:

Day 1: Volume Upper Body
    Day 2: Max Lower
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Max Upper
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Volume Lower
    Day 7: Rest

Yeah, I know it is not a "full body every time" thing, and that was tough to let go, but lots of lifters have been very successful with this kind of split, and it isn't like there's a dedicated arm day or anything like that. By splitting up the volume day, you can get it done in a reasonable amount of time, and can do some accessory stuff too. Each half has its own kind of TM stress-rest-test cycle going on - you have volume day, then a day where you do other stuff and a rest day, then intensity day. It's too early to say how well it will work compared to real TM, but so far I feel good and am making just as fast of progress as I would on TM. 5/3/1 wouldn't be enough time squatting for me and I don't like the idea of never doing sets across.

Not to Hi-jack but...

which program do you think works best with conditioning and/or weightloss?

ive beaten up Linear Progression pretty good and got a little bit o' belly fat i wouldnt mind removing and im trying to run some strongman-inspired conditioning drills. ive heard people discuss turning the accessory exercises on 5/3/1 into conditioning routines. that would be very desireable.

if this is done-to-death in the 5/3/1 book then my bad. moving cross country in a week and will be ordering it once i get settled in

EDIT: realized it's an e-book. purchased it and have begun reading
    Last edited by william jackson; 04-08-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: facepalm

Yeah, the flexibility of 5/3/1 will allow you to maintain strength while focusing on conditioning, if done properly. Jay Ashman @ Strong Island follows this sort of format with success, and posts his WODs daily: http://strongislandsc.com/

thanks jacob, i had seen that site before but had lost it. Jay seems to have done a lot with 531 and conditioning. ill be sure to check his stuff out once im ready to start

starting strength coach development program
    BTW, with regards to the OP... Don't start any more posts with "dear everyone." We're not on those terms until we at least have coffee (you're buying).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast