starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Switching to OL

Default Advice on Switching to OL

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I have a PL meet on Saturday. Then, 11 weeks later, there is an Oly meet I'm entering. I can still have some novice progression, not 11 weeks' worth, but some, in the SS lifts. I'm wondering about gradually shifting over to Oly training, tapering from the SS progression into Oly stuff.

All I know is that next week might be pretty light in general to recover from the meet. I'll go in, squat something light, press something light, might as well work on snatch form, clean and jerk something light. And the week before the meet will be a traditional "week before weightlifting meet" week. So that leaves 9 weeks of serious programming. My main interest has always been Oly, but I've been focused on SS and PL stuff lately.

In case you're wondering what my lifts are, if it matters, I'm opening with 162.5 - 85 - 175 in the PL meet and am power cleaning 90kg for sets across in SS.

Have you seen Justin's novice OLY program on 70sbig? I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.70sbig.com/?p=1315
    Last edited by TartanEagle; 04-08-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added the link

I would ask Charles Staley, Glenn Pendlay, Justin Lascek or greg everett.

Charles Staley, Glenn Pendlay, Justin Lascek or greg everett
    Seeing how Rip's coached 3/4 of these guys on the lifts, taught 2/4 the lifts and written programs for at least two you may want to start by asking Rip. He's out coaching the lifts this weekend, but might be able to help if you ask him and provide more complete information re your situation.

But keep in mind that any program you get without having actually been coached in person will be an approximate fit, just a best guess. You just can't program very precisely without actually knowing the lifter, their abilities & weaknesses, and recovery. You have to see them on the program. This is less important the more of a beginner you are, but more and more important as you go along. This is why internet programming isn't much better than internet coaching and we (Rip + me) suggest you don't pay for them. And this is also why Rip was reluctant to add more example programs to PPST.

Rip doesn't seem to like doing interent programming so I suggested the others. Plus I thought Rip passed the Olympic stuff off to Charles due to his column on here.

Dude, my comments/suggestions were for gzt. We'll have to see what he does. Maybe he'll get a program out of each of them. That might be fun.

well, yes, that's why I want programming advice rather than a program. You just can't trust a program unless the author knows the lifter it's for. I might as well see what Dan John has to say about this, too, even if he does have no squat. Anyway. I will take the advice to ask Mr Rippetoe and some of the others.

What the fuck is a tuna pig?

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    well, yes, that's why I want programming advice rather than a program. You just can't trust a program unless the author knows the lifter it's for. I might as well see what Dan John has to say about this, too, even if he does have no squat. Anyway. I will take the advice to ask Mr Rippetoe and some of the others.
    gzt:

If you remember, could you come back here and post any/all advice you get from the people you ask? I'm sure more people than myself would be interested....

starting strength coach development program
    I might as well see what Dan John has to say about this, too, even if he does have no squat
    Good idea.
    Remember:
    No squat > gin.
    Especially if you prefer whisky.

s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast