Wednesday
    squat
    b/p
    chins or snatch (fixed)

Fridays
    squat (light)
    b/p
    deads (fixed)

as you can see its like the advanced novice template where there is a light squat day though i put it on fridays so that it goes with my deads.

i put those on friday coz i want and still can pull 2x a week unlike the real advanced novice template where you only pull once a week though as you can see I prioritize my cleans and have a light pull day in between my clean and dead session to not avoid overtraining.

the only problem I have with is squats, does the light day on friday serve its purpose considering that it follows two rest days? or it is just plain stupidity and why dont i just not squat on fridays instead of putting light days?

Why don't you just put the light squat day on Wednesday?

like i said i want to have the light squat day along with my deadlift, and i only deadlift on friday.

i'm not doing this program just want you opinion

My opinion is that the light squat day is supposed to be in the middle of the training week, or else it kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    My opinion is that the light squat day is supposed to be in the middle of the training week, or else it kind of defeats the purpose.
    Really? Isn't that a bit microscopic in view? If I look bigger picture, his plan looks like:

M BS/BP/PC
    W BS/SP/Chin
    F light BS/ BP/DL
    M BS/SP/PC
    W BS/BP/Snatch
    F light BS/SP/DL

instead of

M BS/BP/PC
    W light BS/SP/Chin
    F BS/BP/DL
    M BS/SP/PC
    W Light BS/BP/Snatch
    F BS/SP/DL

so, why does it matter, really? The long weekend is only in there for convenience for most people anyway, since most people are on a week to week cycle. So who cares where the light day is in advanced novice. I can easily look macroscopically and say its in the middle of the week in either plan. Just depends on perspective - in his version, the week starts on Wednesday.

OP - This works fine, although there are some other differences from the PPST adv novice that I think are interesting.

my question is that do the light days seem to be just a break and the two days after fridays serve that purpose or a light day on wednesday, monday, or friday give the same results in terms of giving a break?

Greg can what are some variations that you say are interesting? are there any more variations that make you pull from the floor more than once a week?

The way I read PPST (and you should read it and determine your opinion, as well as search to make sure Rip has clarified it here - I'm sure he has) is that the light day is included as a precursor to intermediate programming. You are at the point where you can no longer recover fast enough to add 5# each session, but 2 out of 3 is possible. The light sets aid in recovery. Does this answer your question?

I thought the addition of oly interesting. (I have a plan to do something similar if I ever get this old body healed and get through novice, sigh).

I had a plan to use the light day for oly work (alternating C&J with SN and OHS depending on the cycle)

Riddle me this: if someone is advanced enough that they need a light day of squatting, it's because they can't increase their squat by 5#, 3 times a week. Right?

If the light day is as the OP prescribed, i.e.:

Mon - Heavy Squat
    Wed - Heavy Squat
    Fri - Light Squat

Then you alternate between a two day break and a five day break between heavy squat sessions. But I was under the impression that the light day is required because two days isn't enough recovery time for the trainee to squat heavy again.

Also, you've misunderstood what I meant by "middle of the training week". I meant it as the day that is preceeded by a training session two days earlier, and is followed by a training session two days later (on a 3-day-per-week training schedule). So the middle of the training week couldn't be Friday on a MWF schedule, because the Friday is followed by a training session three days later. Friday would be the middle of the training week on a Wed-Fri-Sun schedule. See?

Anyways, if the light squat day is programmed in the middle of the training week, such as:

Mon - Heavy Squats
    Wed - Light Squats
    Fri - Heavy Squats

then you alternate between having three and four days between heavy squats. This just makes more sense to me. If the trainee has trouble recovering from squats after a two day break, then why would you program heavy squats two days apart and then have a five day break before you do them again?

I like this setup on the pulling excercises. I've wondering how to get chins in my programme (for my shitty elbows), when I reset, and start programming light squats.

Considering that I find that my squats need more of the active recovery than the pulling excercises, I would probably follow your template, but just put the light squats on wednesdays in stead.

Back in the day when I did some TM (and could lift somewhat heavy) I used Wed as a truly "light" day, which made squatting and deadlifting heavy on friday less of a chore.

But in your case I'd just try it out, and see how it went. You can always switch the squats around, if you feel bombed on wednesdays.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Also, you've misunderstood what I meant by "middle of the training week". I meant it as the day that is preceeded by a training session two days earlier, and is followed by a training session two days later (on a 3-day-per-week training schedule). So the middle of the training week couldn't be Friday on a MWF schedule, because the Friday is followed by a training session three days later. Friday would be the middle of the training week on a Wed-Fri-Sun schedule. See?
    I didn't misunderstand you. But I see your point here. If the OP is dead set on DL on Friday, then the shift to a Friday as mid- training week point makes the best sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast