starting strength gym
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TartanEagle's Intermediate Log

Default TartanEagle's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting strength was a great program for me. I'm starting intermediate programming with the Texas Method. I am hoping that I have the balls to stick with this for as long as it works. I won't lie, I am not looking forward to Volume days.

Default Texas Method Day 1

Volume A:
    Squats
    265x5x5
    These were highly unenjoyable! Actually, after struggling with recovery at the end of SS, I was pretty happy to grind out some squats today. I was conservative on my first workout, and I think this weight was perfect. Light enough to get through my first volume day, but heavy enough to still suck.

Bench:
    185x5x5
    My last good SS workout was 200 for 3 sets of 5. I never needed microloading on Bench so I still have some room to grow. These actually seemed fairly easy, especially in comparison to squats.

Deadlift:
    325x5
    I went very conservative on DL's. I have been stuck at 365x3 on SS and backed the weight off. Good thing, because these were hard. Not much energy left to do these. I may have to rotate dead's, sometimes on Monday, others on Friday.

April 12, 2010
    Recovery Day
    Squats:
    215x5x2
    I am in pretty bad shape from my first volume workout. This was not as light as I would have thought, but still not too bad.

Press:
    135x5x3
    This may have been a little heavier than I should have done, but still got all the reps.

Chins:
    BW 11,10,5
    For the third set I paused at the bottom of each rep. Probably not a good idea. I wasn't kipping my other sets, but I was getting a little more movement than I wanted.

Back Extensions:
    Later today

April 14, 2010 - Intensity Day
    Squat
    290x5
    Not too difficult. The conservative approach to starting TM seems good. No recovery issues so far.

Bench Press
    210x5
    This is the most I have ever benched by myself. This was hard, but bar speed was good.

PC
    150x3,3,3,3,3
    Not too difficult, again. Form has gotten much better from when I had started SS.

So this is where you've run off too! I was wondering what the hell happened. All the best with intermediate training. I will be sure to stop by often

Quote Originally Posted by homerj742 View Post
    So this is where you've run off too! I was wondering what the hell happened. All the best with intermediate training. I will be sure to stop by often
    Please drop in anytime! The first week of intermediate training went well. Tomorrow is my second volume day, which I am actually looking forward to.

Yesterday's workout
    April 17, 2010
    Volume
    Squat:
    270x5x5
    No issues. Good session

Press:
    135x5x5
    Felt strong on the press. I'm really able to use my abs on these.

Deadlift:
    330x5
    Used hook grip for the first time on a heavy working set. I backed the weight down on deadlifts when I switched to TM. I thought this would be a good time to try hook grip. It went pretty well. I'll keep this going as long as I can.

Bodyweight: 211

April 19, 2010
    Recovery Day
    Squat
    215x5,5

Bench Press
    165x5,5,5

Chins (12,8,6) alternated with Good Mornings (45x10,10,10)
    - I was running out of time so I did these with minimal rest. I typically do back extensions but did not have time to set up my makeshift back ext station.

Recovery day looks easy on paper. However, I am so beat up from Volume day, that this only sucks less because it is shorter. It certainly does not feel easy. But this is a good thing, because otherwise I would feel like I was wasting my time.

April 21, 2010
    Intensity Day
    Squats
    295x5
    Felt lousy during warmups, as it has been a rough couple of weeks at work. It was good I started conservative on my weights. The actual workset went well considering how I felt warming up.

Press:
    147.5x4
    This is PR for the press, but was supposed to be 5. I'll take it anyway.

PC
    155x3,3,3,3,3
    First set was good, last set was great. Some in the middle were suspect on form. I need to really concentrate on a solid first pull and explode on the second pull.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice, lookin' good on the squats. 300 soon

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast