starting strength gym

Thread: Time off for injury - diet adjustments?

Default Time off for injury - diet adjustments?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I've been doing SS, GOMAD and all that, and making good gains. But this past weekend I hurt my back (not training related - I did it doing yard work). I don't know how long I'll be down for sure, but based on past history I'll probably be out a few weeks.

I'm wondering how I should adjust my diet in the meantime. It seems like it's a waste to keep eating big while I can't work out, but I can see how the healing process would need extra calories over and above maintenance. Should I continue with eating big, or should I cut back to maintenance level, or maybe something in between?

uh, you can't do anything?

I can understand (personal empathy here) holding off on squat, clean and DL, but hey, you can probably still press and bench. Do you have access to sissy machines (universal) that you could brace your back on? Could minimize detraining completely this way maybe.

Look hard at what you can really do, and try to stay active. As someone with recurring back issues, I have found I heal much quicker when I get back into things quicker (just be judicious, of course).

As for the diet part, I don't know your age/weight etc, but my guess is it's ok to scale back based on decreased activity levels.

Yes, I'm sure I can bench and (probably) press. I know from past experience that I could probably start doing everything else with really light weights in about a week, give or take, and be back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime, I think I'll cut back and do what I can to maintain strength. FWIW, I'm 36 years old, 5' 8", and have gone from 142 to 157 lbs. since I started.

check out this regarding injuries: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ead.php?t=7351

I would also recommend at the very least doing some light back work - maybe back extensions for high reps, depending on the location of the injury. Also, time off means more time to eat, and since you aren't overweight I'd say eat like you normally do.

Resting after the initial injury is a good idea. However, most injuries benefit greatly from activity as soon as can be managed, provided it is done in reasonable doses. Light squats and deads are important rehab exercises for you. Start them sooner rather than later.

It seems like it's a waste to keep eating big while I can't work out, but I can see how the healing process would need extra calories over and above maintenance.
    Healing probably won't require a hell of a lot of calories and there's no need to eat huge amounts of food if you are not training hard. Cut things back as you see fit, particularly on the milk. Solid food is unlikely to be a problem. Also, you've only gained 15 pounds so far and you aren't really in a position where eating too much is going to cause you many issues. You probably already know what you need to do.