starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Days vs Exercises in Texas Method

Default Programming Days vs Exercises in Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So many TM threads already up, but I couldn't find one that dealt with this question, apologies if this is repetitious.

When programming for the Texas Method, I'm wondering what the preferred organization is. To use a M/W/F schedule: would Monday be the Volume DAY, Wednesday the recovery DAY, and Friday the PR DAY - done for all exercises in the program? Or alternatively, would you break things up such that, for example in a program using Squats, Presses, and Power Cleans:

Monday - Squat Volume
    Press PR
    Power Clean Recovery

Wednesday - Squat Recovery
    Press Volume
    Power Clean PR

Friday - Squat PR
    Press Recovery
    Power Cleans Volume

I can think of reasoning for both, but didn't see this addressed in PP (at least 1st edition that I have), or any of the other forum threads about the TM, so thought I'd ask which you consider superior. Or is either way equally good?

Monday all volume
    Wednesday all recovery
    Friday all intensity

PP2 has samples of most of the programs in the back.

You could do it either way. There was a time when I couldn't fit the long volume day workout into my schedule so I did squats and presses just the way you wrote them except for the press PR which I did on Sundays along with power snatches, and it worked just fine.

I am trying
    Sun: Upper Body Volume
    Mon: Lower Body Intensity
    Wed: Upper Intensity
    Fri: Lower Volume

in hopes of splitting up kind of like how you describe. I've only been doing it a few weeks so I can't report long term results, but it has been okay so far.

I think you can definitely mix it up. I do, however, always like to keep Wed as a light DAY. But, for example, I greatly prefer doing Volume Squat and PR Bench on Monday, and then Volume Bench and PR Squat on Friday.

Makes the workout much more enjoyable and productive, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Moffitt View Post
    I think you can definitely mix it up. I do, however, always like to keep Wed as a light DAY. But, for example, I greatly prefer doing Volume Squat and PR Bench on Monday, and then Volume Bench and PR Squat on Friday.

Makes the workout much more enjoyable and productive, for me at least.
    Moffitt, so you're saying the original TM is designed to be Volume, Recovery, and PR *Days*, but you personally mix it up?

It certainly makes sense to me. 5x5 or similar for 3 or 4 major exercises (and 5x2 or 5x3 for snatches/cleans) with adequate rest would not only take more time in the gym than most people have at one time, but I'd also think any trainee would be exhausted by the 3rd or 4th exercise, maybe even the 2nd. The local muscles to a small extent, but much more largely systemic nervous and energy system exhaustion.

On the other hand, PR-ing post volume (or vice versa) would definitely impede max effort on whichever one comes second. But then, on the "other-other" hand, same would apply to the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) exercises you choose to PR on, if you do a PR Day, with all 3 or 4 exercises done for PR's.

These are the different sides of the coin I've been flipping in my head, and was hoping the community (and hopefully Rip himself) could help me with.

i would do the press PR before the squat 5x5, but your OP is fine.

changing it as moffitt suggested is definitely wrong as it completely switches the order from V/R/I to I/R/V and should technically only "work" for people who aren't truly intermediates (true intermediates needing more than 2-3 days to display the benefits of the volume workout).

Just saying what works for me. After doing 5 x 5 of squats, I just don't have the energy to put in a good max effort on 5 x 5 of bench, and the bench suffers.

For what it's worth (maybe not much), if this site is correct, this is very similar to the Starr / Pendlay 5 x 5. If you download the spreadsheet you'll see that Monday is 5 x 5 across for Squat, and then Bench ramps up to a max set of 5. And the reverse on Friday

http://stronglifts.com/madcow/5x5_Pr...odized_5x5.htm

I know that's not exactly the same as the TM, but is pretty good.

Just saying what works for me. After doing 5 x 5 of squats, I just don't have the energy to put in a good max effort on 5 x 5 of bench, and the bench suffers.

For what it's worth (maybe not much), if this site is correct, this is very similar to the Starr / Pendlay 5 x 5. If you download the spreadsheet you'll see that Monday is 5 x 5 across for Squat, and then Bench ramps up to a max set of 5. And the reverse on Friday

What you posted is the periodized, advanced version of 5x5. With TM, we are still in the intermediate phase and utilizing week to week progress

starting strength coach development program

that's an excellent way to get big and strong, it has worked for many people...only downside is you need 2+ hours for each day.