starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM check

Default TM check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is similar to a thread already on the front page, but didn't want to be overlooked.

I'm coming back from a layoff, so I'm doing some basic linear progression to get my working weights back up and planning on jumping back into the TM.

Having all three volume lifts on the same day is quite draining and easily takes 2 1/2 hours gym time which I'm not opposed to, just trying to maximize my time. Here is my plan (9 day split due to odd work schedule, working out every 3rd day):

Day 1:
    Squat Volume 5x5
    Press/Push Press 3x5 (bench recovery day)
    Power Clean 6x2-3
    Abs

Day 2:
    Front Squat 2x5
    Bench PR
    Deadlift 1x5
    Abs

Day 3
    Squat PR
    Bench Volume 5x5
    Power Cleans PR
    Abs

I thought of rotating bench/press with the same rep schemes (using 80% of the volume workout of last week for this weeks recovery day) but I think the benching alone will be enough to help drive up the press. I want to add in chins, but am unsure as to where. I also plan on doing conditioning work on the days preceding my workouts.

If this gets to be too confusing or for some reason is unsuccessful, I plan on switching back to my old TM template that I had success with (cut short due to the layoff):

Day 1:
    Squats - 5x5
    Bench Press - 5x5
    Power Cleans - 6x2-3
    Weighted Dips - 3x5-8
    Abs

Day 2:
    Front Squats - 3x3
    Push Press - 3x5
    Power Cleans - 3x3
    Weighted Chins - 3x5-8

Day 3:
    Squats - 1x1-3
    Bench Press - 1x1-3
    Deadlift - 1x1-3

Any suggestions are welcome!
    -Hat

That should work fine. Usually you wouldn't want to do deadlifts on squat recovery day, but with a 1-on-2-off schedule you should have plenty of time to recover. Chinups could replace abs on the press/push press day.

Quote Originally Posted by isis View Post
    That should work fine. Usually you wouldn't want to do deadlifts on squat recovery day, but with a 1-on-2-off schedule you should have plenty of time to recover. Chinups could replace abs on the press/push press day.
    Thanks, isis. I had postulated putting chins/pullups (alternating weekly) on that very day (day 1), I might just have to give it a go and see.

Sometimes I think that the 2 recovery days between sessions is a boon, sometimes a bane. It all depends on the situation. Thanks for you input.

-Hat
    Last edited by hatmanii; 04-14-2010 at 01:52 PM.

I know that some of you viewing this have opinions. Chime in!

-Hat

Up until this week I had been attempting deadlifts on squat recovery day as well, but finally gave up as they were just not happening. I'm leery of doing squat volume AND bench/press volume AND deadlifts on the same day, but what I had been trying definitely didn't work.

I have a couple more thoughts. Swapping the volume PC's on Day 1 with the deadlifts on Day 2 would be good for a couple of reasons. Your power cleans will be better without the fatigue from the squats and having the form practice fresh in your mind will be helpful for PR's 3 days later. It's good to train to do deadlifts after squats if you think you might ever enter a meet. And it would make the lengths of the workouts more similar instead of a long one and a short one.

What do you plan to do for conditioning work? If the lifting is your main priority, I think it would be better to do conditioning on the day after the workout, so you can have a full day of rest before lifting.

I think deadlifting on your recovery day might be a bad idea. Also, something that I don't understand about some of the TM designs is that people clean/deadlift in the same week, while on the more advanced novice routines, there's deadlifting every other week, or at the least, a week where there are no deadlifts.

I'm still new to TM myself, but it doesn't seem that you're giving your recovery day the proper respect.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this will work better:

Day 1:
    Squat Volume 5x5
    Press/Push Press 3x5 (bench recovery day)
    Deadlift PR
    Pullups/Chins (alternating weekly)

Day 2:
    Front Squat 2x5
    Bench PR
    Power Cleans 6x2/5x3
    Abs

Day 3
    Squat PR
    Bench Volume 5x5
    Power Clean 3x3
    Abs

This is more similar to what I did before, and looks more like the standard TM template just with alternating volume/recovery/intensity.

In regards to the conditioning work, it's mainly going to be steady state cardio, barbell complexes, and prowler work. The only way that I can ensure that I am recovered/prepped on my lifting days is to workout the day before I work (24 hour shifts as a Firefighter). So conditioning work comes the days before my training days.

Like I said, I'm willing to experiment and see if this is feasible/worth my while. If something doesn't work out right, I can always go back to what I know works.

-Hat

I have always felt fine with the DL on my squat recovery day. In your case, the additional day of rest (1 on, 2 off) would probably minimize any negative effects to your squat PR.

The key with TM is managing fatigue levels from the volume sessions such that you are recovered by PR time. In my humble opinion, since your schedule constrains the days per week, your first proposed program seems very reasonable.

starting strength coach development program
    Just want to note, I ran linear progression with 3x5 push presses for a while and that shit gets real hard real fast. If you want a big push press do it, but it's not recovery for anything. That should be considered press work on par with the bench PR or volume workouts. Recovery day should be legitimately light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast