starting strength gym

Thread: Lovely popping ribs et al

Thumbs down Lovely popping ribs et al

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, I thought I'd introduce myself to this thread via a what not to do form.

A few years ago, I broke my rib. Just fell over and hit my curb. This year, I got excited about SS after doing really pansy lifts using machines. Ditched them, hit the big-boy lifts. I wanted to be part of the gang of muscle men. Doing well, although still low, my weights are going up. Loving the squats at the moment.

However, I failed to take in two pieces of advice: diet and the use of a proper belt. I REALLY struggle with the press and to a lesser extent the bench press, failing to hit my reps on the press with a measly (don't laugh, I cry myself to sleep as it is) 32.5kg. That includes the bar. But fingers crossed eating a horse everyday will sort that out.

Now, I quite enjoy the deadlift, and got to a point where I thought I'd best start using a belt. So when I hit 100kg, I used the gym-provided tapered-front one. First rep, POP! it really did feel like a popping sound. I could really feel the support on my back, but zero support on my abs. That put me out of the gym for 1 month. I got back into the gym, and after a week of building back up to my original strength, got the gym-provided belt, 100kg grasped in my arms, heaved, and.... POP! That was a month ago and I only got back into the gym properly today. Don't think I'll be doing that again soon.

Anyway, seems like a good thread! Maybe I should start an online training log although it'll be more on the lines of what not to do whilst lifting.

Sounds like you have the makings of a training diary/log.

I am also weak in the upper body lifts, we all have to start somewhere. But I am surpised that you are deadlifting 100kg when you bench is 32kg.

This added to the fact you keep injuring yourself in the deadlift, and also find useful back support from a crappy belt all suggest there might be something going wrong in your technique.

Post some vids when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I am also weak in the upper body lifts, we all have to start somewhere. But I am surpised that you are deadlifting 100kg when you bench is 32kg.
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I think he was talking about his Press, not his bench.

Hope you sort thatout soon Phil, deadlifting is too much fun to give up on it.

IPB

Just realised how full of myself I must be! "Anyway, seems like a good thread!" I meant BOARD. Oops. Yeah, I was talking about my overhead press. The sucky lift.

Thanks guys, I really hope I sort it out soon too. As always, looking forward to getting back in there tomorrow!

I'm not certain what's wrong. are you re-breaking the rib? tearing intercostal cartilage? Or does something just hurt when it goes POP? Is something actually injured, is something formerly injured being forced to adapt to new stress, or are you just being very cautious?

OITW, according to the doc, I either pulled or tore a muscle. He did worry that the cartilage may have seperated, but he stated that's not the case. He mentioned that rib injuries have a tendancy to reappear, due to the scarring from healing.

It's kind of weird - when it pops, it doesn't hurt there-and-then. 6 hours later though - my god it hurts, and it gets worse for about 1 week before leveling out, to a point where it hurts to breathe, I feel nauscous, and it's just generally a nightmare.

When my deadlift was 100kg, my press was also 32.5kg.

Just for reference, I dont think it is that unusual.

Sorry about the mix-up, I often miss out words and sometimes whole passages when reading.

starting strength coach development program
    NP Dastardly :-D.

FYI, I'm getting back into deadlifting - I'm working my way up slowly from 60kg, just to nail the form and make sure I don't bugger the rib up again. It felt smooth, and I had no pain during the lift, although it aches a little bit now: but in a different way, hopefully in a 'rehab' way. I'll try to get the missus to video something before I get back up to 100kg. It'd just feel a bit weird being filmed in a gym...