starting strength gym

Thread: Finally back to TM

Default Finally back to TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After having surgery in January of 09, I was sidelined for 3 months then started back on Starting Strength to milk linear progression. Weight before surgery - 168, after surgery - 145, and now - 190. Getting ready for my first volume day in about 15 months.

Schedule is looking like this:

Monday - Volume
    5x5 - squats
    5x5 - bench/press alternating
    1x5 - halting deadlift

Wednesday - Recovery
    2x5 - squats @ 80% Monday
    3x5 - bench/press alternating @ 90% previous volume day
    5x3 - power cleans
    few sets of pullups

Friday - Intensity
    1x1-5 - squat
    1x1-5 - bench
    1x1-5 - deadlift

Can't wait to get back to this; one of my favorite programming methodologies. I'll adjust the percentages based on how I'm feeling for recovery day and will be paying attention to volume weight. When I first ran TM, I was so focused on always upping my Monday weight that I would lose sight of the fact that Monday is meant to disrupt homeostasis and that Friday is where I demonstrate my strength. I was pushing Monday so much that I wasn't adequately recovered for Friday; so I will be keeping that in mind this time around. Hope to run this for a long time with all the possible tweaks, then will probably try 5/3/1 with adjustments made for squatting 2x week.

Congrats on getting it back man.

Do you mind clarifying exactly what you were doing wrong last time?

Quote Originally Posted by METAL VIPER View Post
    When I first ran TM, I was so focused on always upping my Monday weight that I would lose sight of the fact that Monday is meant to disrupt homeostasis and that Friday is where I demonstrate my strength. I was pushing Monday so much that I wasn't adequately recovered for Friday; so I will be keeping that in mind this time around.

I was just so focused on always going up 5lbs on Monday that I was doing to much and wasn't fully recovered by Friday. I used too high of a intensity percentage. This time, if I need some more work, I'm going to experiment with some back off sets.