starting strength gym

Thread: Denver Recap 4/16-18

Default Denver Recap 4/16-18

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last time we were here there was sleet and snow on the ground so the warm spring sunshine this weekend was very welcome when we hit Denver. Most of the crew came up from Texas in the new/used company vehicle (yet to be named) and both Josh and I passed our manual transmission drivers tests (although Josh’s segment included gunning it across three lanes of traffic to the hum of all three of us yelling at him not to get hit, so I think his test was more intense than my pleasant drive to Walgreens.)

Skip and Jodi Miller continue their trend of excellent hosts, two of the best gym owner/trainers we’ve come across, and more importantly, good friends. They’ve just returned from competing in the Masters Nationals weightlifting meet in New York; are in the midst of preparing to host the Regional competition for the Crossfit games; run their gym and still have time to provide their guests with a top notch venue with great equipment and plenty of platforms, a prowler to push (which is really a “thanks-I-think” kind of thing), and the all important coffee travelers that kept us all going for three days. I cannot accurately express how appreciative to both of you we are for your continued support , we look forward to next time. See you in October!

We’ve noticed an increase in attendance by those serving or having just served in the military and this weekend was no different. There were some folks who were heading back to base and others who just got home from deployment and get to figure out what to be when they grow up. Drake will be a visitor of the Denver area for another week since this Volcano situation prevents him from heading back to Germany for a while. I don’t know what it is about our seminar that brings cool Canadians out of the woodwork but I was very proud of all the hard work Ray and Alana of Calgary put into the weekend. Having husband/wife teams at our seminars has proven to be a very worthwhile tool in ensuring that methods and cues used throughout the weekend are carried over to training at home.

There were some who compete in various recreational and amateur sports where their improved efficiency of the basic lifts and smarter programming will enable them to compete at a higher level with hard work and increased strength. It was a special treat to have Gary Gibson; a regular contributor to the forum, competitive Powerlifter, and all around cool guy with us this weekend. And as I’ve said many times, having folks return to the seminar after previously attending Rip’s Basic Barbell cert is a great opportunity to reinforce the information and practical experience of training with others who are also learning the ropes-thanks for coming Scott!

I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out the fact that traveling to Colorado as a Whiskey lover is a special treat. We’ve found some of the best Whiskey around at prices that enable you to buy the entire stock. I felt it important to show just a sample of this supply. I’ll even have a couple of bottles waiting for me down in WF when I hit town this summer. It occurred to us Sunday evening as we were milling about after the seminar was complete that it would be fun to have a group picture. It’ll be helpful when we have these thoughts when the whole group is actually there but below is a pic of some of us. And as for the dog picture…geez, just look at it; that’s one COOOL dog!

As I stated before, we’ll be back this way in October and I already look forward to it. I’ll update the Denver food thread after I get the name of the BBQ joint Rip and others hit Sunday at lunch. Luckily for us, they brought back scraps. The Mac ‘n Cheese will make Sheaffer wish he were there and the collard greens made Rip make nummy food noises while he ate them. OH! And the meat wasn’t bad either.
    Thanks again Jodi and Skip and all of you who came out. Keep us posted on your lifting or coaching progress and how spending the weekend with us affected either/or.
    jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could tell it was Gary from the blue knee sleeves.

I could tell it was Gary from the blue knee sleeves.
    Really? I have blue knee sleeves...but Gary's smell better than mine so you'd be able to tell mine from the smell.
    jp