starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should I weight minimum?

Default How much should I weight minimum?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, amazingly tall at 5'6
    I am up from 123 to about 175 since August. Started with a bodybuilding influence kind of training, (Don't we all?) and been on SS since early December.

Deadlift - 305lbs 1x5
    Squat - 245lbs 3x5
    Bench Press - 140lbs 3x5
    Press - 90lbs 3x5

Presses were struggling but now that I improved my form, they are going up.

I am thinking of getting up to 185?, but wanted some opinions.

i am 5'6-7 and 160lbs not lean. i'm planning on being 180-190 lean which seems to be a good goal because i want to be good at sports while being strong.

it just depends on your goals.

Sure, why not?

Gain as much weight as is required to get Strong.

But frankly, with that much weight gain, your numbers seem low, especially for a squatty fella (though you did start off as a twig; did you have an eating disorder? Legit question, not just trying to be an ass). I'd make sure your form and intensity are in check, then take advantage of those little levers.

How has the 50lb weight gain influenced your body composition? We need more info, I think. And maybe some vids to make sure your form is proper so that you can continue to pile on some pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob cloud View Post
    Gain as much weight as is required to get Strong.

But frankly, with that much weight gain, your numbers seem low, especially for a squatty fella (though you did start off as a twig; did you have an eating disorder? Legit question, not just trying to be an ass). I'd make sure your form and intensity are in check, then take advantage of those little levers.

How has the 50lb weight gain influenced your body composition? We need more info, I think. And maybe some vids to make sure your form is proper so that you can continue to pile on some pounds.
    Well, I didn't really gain the whole 70lbs on SS. Like I mention, I started doing a bodybuilding split for like 6 months I think, until December. When i found out about SS I was probably around 150 lbs. So it was a 20 pound increase really haha. My presses were most likely being stuck and low because of bad form and maybe not recovering enough. But i just got them to go up workout to workout as i just got back from vacation.

Ryan Long Guest

Focus on the weight lifted, not the weight on the scale. Let's shoot for about 2ish times BWT DL and SQT (405/345), 1 1/2 times BWT BP (265), 1 x BWT PRS (175).

I'm 5'4" and weigh 185 now. I'm currently in the middle of a cardio cycle for work (Army) but plan on getting back to eating fat and lifting heavy next week and making another run. I think I can get my bodyweight up to 200 without getting sloppy, but I'm won't be happy if my lifts don't increase with it (currently 515 SQT, 490 DL, 295 BP, 6 month goals are 600 SQT, 585 DL, 355 BP). Hell, if I could get strong and go back to 165lbs I would do it, but it just doesn't seem possible.

I agree with Jacob here. It might be worth your time to dial in your form before you make adding more weight your focus. I feel like I'm roughly in the same boat as you. I'm 5'5" and just shy of 180 right now (up from a low of 145). I've been on SS for a little over 2 months (although I have a background of strength training) and my most recent working set numbers are:

Squat 295 3x5
    Press 155 3x5
    Bench 215 3x5
    Dead 350 1x5

I consider those numbers to be fairly unremarkable. I know guys with roughly the same build as me with much more impressive numbers. Additionally - I feel like I've put on more fat than strictly necessary in the process, but maybe that gives you a helpful reference point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Long View Post
    Hell, if I could get strong and go back to 165lbs I would do it, but it just doesn't seem possible.
    It is, but only in the long term, I think. My friend Anthony Bainbridge has posted fairly recent videos of a #505 squat and a #600 deadlift, weighing a mighty #166 or so; this is the strongest he's ever been, at any weight.

Anthony's short, and while he's very lean now ... he built his strength foundation with years of heavy lifting and heavy eating. At his biggest (after doing GOMAD and 5X5) Tony weighed #220. He dropped size to make weight for his sports interests.

Tom, since you're Anthony's friend, do you know what his raw lifts are currently at?

starting strength coach development program
    240 minimum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast