starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shrugs

Default Shrugs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How would one Program Shrugs into the Deadlift program using SS as an advanced novice?

According to the book, a novice (advanced or not) would not use shrugs--probably because you haven't exhausted your linear progress. If you were using shrugs, it seems Rip gave instructions on programming them where he described the exercise, but I could be wrong.

Why would you program surgs into this? An advanced novice almost certainly doesn't need surgs in his program yet.

I can't be mad for you wanting a bigger yoke. Do your deadlifts and shrug afterwards. Heavy shrugs are best - you may need straps.

However, a more useful thing would be to powerclean. Programming for this, of course, is explained in SS. Many find it useful to warmup with light PC's for their deadlift, yet I'm not sure you'd see much benefit for your traps.

I alternate deads and cleans now once a week on Wed's. In other words I deadlift once everyother week and clean on the others. The ONLY reason I wanna shrug is to grow the traps to answer the above question.

OK, now I have to ask if you've truly exhausted your linear progression. Feel free to list stats if you like. Deadlifts alone can build some amazing traps if done frequently enough. I'm going to make an assumption, which can be dangerous, but I think you could probably stand to deadlift more.

The olympic lifts all build the traps, including the snatch and clean pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    OK, now I have to ask if you've truly exhausted your linear progression. Feel free to list stats if you like. Deadlifts alone can build some amazing traps if done frequently enough. I'm going to make an assumption, which can be dangerous, but I think you could probably stand to deadlift more.
    I was deadlifting before SS. I have been doing so for over an year now. My deadlifts stalled months ago. I pulled 405 last week using a 6 week program ramping program. Now I just this week started alternating PC's with Deads. I haven't PCed in a long while. I did 5x3@180 no prob.

Squat 320
    OH press 185
    Bench 270
    Dead 405

5'10"
    200 lbs
    33yrs old

heavy 1x5 once or twice every week quit producing for me

starting strength coach development program
    Heavy power shrugs like Rip describes will impact recovery, but light ones done for a couple of higher rep sets strict with slowish negatives won't really impact much at all and might help stimulate growth. After deadlifts and/or cleans makes the most sense to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast