starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does an injury only count as an injury if it affects your training?

Default Does an injury only count as an injury if it affects your training?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ^ As the title says, does it?

I ask because i strained my right glute like a week or more ago, but it doesn't interfere with my squats, deads or any of the lifts. It does hurt/feel uncomfortable a bit when i do normal stuff like stretch to reach something, or walk but either than that it's fine. I don't know if this will heal if i continue to train, but the thing is it doesn't actually affect my training so....what to do? So far i have continued training through it and it has not improved.

If you're injured, it's an injury. I'm surprised it doesn't interfere with your squats or deads, but if that's the case then just keep training through it and monitoring the injury.

keep training but...

rehab your injury. ive got a similar problem atm. my therapist gave me a few exercises to do and stretches and a painful massage helps. go find someone to help you treat it now. if you're going to do it yourself, google is your friend and get someone to stick their elbow into your ass where it hurts, a few times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    keep training but...

rehab your injury. ive got a similar problem atm. my therapist gave me a few exercises to do and stretches and a painful massage helps. go find someone to help you treat it now. if you're going to do it yourself, google is your friend and get someone to stick their elbow into your ass where it hurts, a few times a week.
    Exercises therapists hand out are usually high rep isolation movements that often cause more problems than the lifts.

Ive experienced this with my knee injury, hamstring tendonitis and shoulder problems too. Because the lifts are combined effort from a lot of large muscles. Especially in the case of squats, the strain on any particular muscle isnt excessively great.

I agree with PVC anyhow, go by feeling, you know your body.

keep training but...

if you're going to do it yourself, google is your friend and get someone to stick their elbow into your ass where it hurts, a few times a week.
    I know this is an old injury for you, but holy fuck. That is the gayest thing I've read on these boards.

Thanks guys for the prompt responses. Yeah i know it's strange how it doesn't hurt during squats and stuff. I've just still been training as normal but it hasn't improved. I just don't want to rehab it if it ain't affecting my training (yes i'm greedy for gains) but at the same time i don't want it blowing out into some chronic injury. I guess i'll keep an eye on it like u guys said, and try stretching it out.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    I just don't want to rehab it if it ain't affecting my training (yes i'm greedy for gains) but at the same time i don't want it blowing out into some chronic injury.
    My train of thought is that if it literally does not affect squatting or deadlifting, you don't need to rehab it. If you can find a massage therapist who will perform deep tissue massage on your ass, that's probably all you need.

Dam, well i think i blew it. After hitting a new PR for squats on monday at 113.5kg, i rocked up to do my "light" squats today and i could feel the pain hindering my squats. I ended up rehabbing it, ending with 3 sets of 60kg. I guess the bloody thing caught up with me. But on a happier note, i thought i finally hit 148kg on the deadlift (failed to do a single rep last week) and yes for some strange reason my right glute didn't irritate me when i deadlifted and since i really wanted to hit 150kg, i went for it anyways. Did my "148kg" for 5 hard reps, and then i sat back, went to take the plates off, and i found i forgot to slip on the 2.5 and 1.25 on one side and so i had actually done a lopsided deadlift. I can't believe i didn't realise =P now i have to shoot for 148kg again next week!

Be careful with an injury like this, i've been carrying mine for about 5 months now, it sucks. Get some rehab now, dude.

starting strength coach development program
    . if you're going to do it yourself, google is your friend and get someone to stick their elbow into your ass where it hurts, a few times a week.
    my friend has two elbow injuries and can't use his elbow for my rehab. Do you have any experience/suggestions if a finger would work, msingh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast