Default XF220 log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    21 years old
    74 inches
    215 lbs
    20% body fat

Did my first day of SS. I am not entirely new to lifting, I had done squats, bench presses, and dead lifts before. I just had never really followed a plan, or done them often.

First day of lifts went like this: I did five sets of five for today, and paid close attention to form. I could have done another 10 sets at least with these weights, so it was easy to watch form.

Squat: 135
    Bench: 155
    Dead Lift: 205

As of now, I am planning on moving to these weights for the next A day.

Squat: 145
    Bench: 165
    Dead Lift: 225

My target weights for the end of the 12th week.

Squat: 330
    Bench:250
    Dead Lift: 400
    Last edited by xf220; 04-28-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Those are some decent starting numbers. If you stay at it and eat to support the cause and lift enough you'll definitely hit those numbers. Be paitient and don't sweat it if you have to re-set any.

If you're new I would take your pressing movements and only add 5lbs for a while. You'll still progress pretty quick. Also is there any reason you're not doing overhead presses or plan on doing power cleans?

Good luck and keep us posted!

This was my first day, day A so I did not press or power clean. Ill figure out the goal and starting points then because I've never done barbell presses or power cleans. I always used the shoulder press machine or dumb bells.

Ill try out the larger initial increases, if I peak out I'll have to reset, but I am confident I can make bigger jumps for the first couple weeks and be okay. I think my bench press should be okay at first, but the other presses I should take slow since I haven't done them a whole lot.

On Friday I did a full body workout, before I decided to do starting strength and I benched 5x4 for the wights of 155,165,175 and 185.

Thank you for the encouragement!

My overall goals to reach are 325 bench, 375 Squat, 430 dead lift. If I can reach those, at least for right now, anything above would be icing on the cake!
    Last edited by xf220; 04-26-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Sorry...I missed the part of it being your A day. Looking forward to seeing your strength increase.

So, I ran out of Whey. I had just been picking up EAS Whey from the grocery store. Well I decided to stop into GNC and see what they had. I picked up their Amplified Mass XXX powder. 6lb tub, was $50 bucks. Not bad I say to myself. I even noticed it had creatine, so I figured it would save me money because I was going to look for some of that too.

Got home, and saw that #1) they want me to use 4 friggen scoops per shake, so ill get 13 shakes out of my $50.00, and the creatine is at 3g per 4 scoops. Correct me if I am wrong, but generally one wants 6-10g per day? hm. Oh well, live and learn. It tastes amazing though.

Okay just got home from the first B work out. Went very well, felt great! I was super tired all day long, seriously out of it. I was worried I would have the strength to do the workout, but I ate a nice big meal of pork roast, broccoli and rice, and then moved a couple tvs from the basement to the car, and I was wide awake. I pounced on the chance to get the work out in.

I used 5 sets today to find a good weigh to use, and once I found it, did that weight for the remaining sets.

Squats- jumped to 155 today, more than initially I had planned. Ever since I got the hip motion and bar placement better, the lift has been much easier.

Press- Ended up using 95lb as my weight for the day. Completed all reps in last set too, it was just right. Had to push it a bit.

Power Cleans- I did hanging cleans today, to get used the motions. I've never done them before. I ended up using 105lbs for the hanging cleans. I will add the power next time.

I was really feeling pumped up and energized and didnt want to leave, so I did 2x10 of dips. Then I left.

While I want strength, I am one of those who wants to look good naked

Awesome shake, 2 scoops of whey, giant spoon of peanut butter, 1 cup of milk, 5 ice cubes and 1/4 cup of oats. Cant wait to cook my post workout meal after my shower! And cant wait for Friday!

New endings goals are:

Bench: 255
    Squat: 325
    Deadlift: 330
    Power Clean: 190
    Press:180

These numbers might not make sense, but I have an excel spread sheet and adjust me goals after each workout based on what I just did. If I mad a 20lb jump, then my end goal shoots up.

2nd A workout today.

Squat- 165. Felt great, was a lot of fun. Did 2 warm up sets at 135, and then 3x5 at normal weight.

Dead Lift- 225 Felt great again. Could have easily kept going for probably 10 more reps.

Bench- 165 felt good, did two warm ups at 135, and then 3x5 at normal weight.

Post workout shake:

2 scoops whey
    2.5g creatine
    1/2 banana
    1/4 cup oats
    1 heaping spoon full of peanut butter
    1 cup milk
    5 ice cubes

Post workout meal-

big chunk of left over pork roast, and 1 cup of brown rice.

Best of luck dude,

do you have any plans for progression jumps? 10 lbs for squat, etc?

Goals for next work outs.

Workout B2

Squat- 175 lbs
    Press- 105 lbs (matching PR)
    Power Clean- 110 lbs (always a PR because I have never done them)

Workout A3

Squat- 185 lbs (matching PR)
    Bench Press- 175 lbs
    Dead lift- 245 lbs (will be a PR)

From week 3 and on, I will be setting PRs in all lifts!

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday was workout B2

Squat: 175
    Press: 105 (too heavy, ended up push pressing)
    Power Clean: 135

Goals for next A workout:

Squat: 185
    Bench: 175
    Deadlift: 245

Goals for the next B workout:

Squat: 190
    Press: 85
    Power Clean: 140

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast