starting strength gym

Thread: Crazy soreness/aching in Rhomboids..

Default Crazy soreness/aching in Rhomboids..

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Switched to advanced novice recently and the pull ups/chin ups seem to have been hitting my rhomboids surprisingly hard. So much so Im getting this very intense aching and soreness during the following days.

It could be DOMS I guess, but doesnt feel "nice" like DOMS does.

Its very surprising as I was doing a lot of pull ups last year and rhomboid isolation exercises (R Cuff rehab) but never ever felt it hit the rhomboids at all.

I can cope with this, whatever it might be. So not desperate for a solution. Just found it really weird and wondered if anyone else has had the same?

I've had a similar issue in my rhomboid/trap area and it has spread to my neck muscles on the left side. When I bring my scapulae together every so often there is a definite "popping" sound. It hurts sometimes to raise my left arm up over my head and this has been limiting my lifting in the gym. I tried flat benching and doing dips yesterday and it just wasn't happening. I'm thinking posible muscle spasm in a spot or structural issue. I tried massage, foam rolling, electro-stim...and nothing. I'm going to stop lifting for a solid week (which I HATE to do) and see if it heals on it's own. If not I'll be seeing a doctor/chiro.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I've had a similar issue in my rhomboid/trap area and it has spread to my neck muscles on the left side. When I bring my scapulae together every so often there is a definite "popping" sound. It hurts sometimes to raise my left arm up over my head and this has been limiting my lifting in the gym. I tried flat benching and doing dips yesterday and it just wasn't happening. I'm thinking posible muscle spasm in a spot or structural issue. I tried massage, foam rolling, electro-stim...and nothing. I'm going to stop lifting for a solid week (which I HATE to do) and see if it heals on it's own. If not I'll be seeing a doctor/chiro.
    You didn't happen to change your deadlifting style to round-back before this happened, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    You didn't happen to change your deadlifting style to round-back before this happened, did you?
    No. I've always pulled the same way, and I've been deadlifting consistently for 5 1/2 years.

The only thing I can think of that changed with my program was that I've been doing more dips, pullups, Turkish Getups and OH pressing in the past several months. But those things never bothered me before.

Mine went away but I am expecting it to come back after doing pull ups tomorrow. It seems like the kind of thing myofascial release/ART would fix, knotted up muscles, trapped nerves etc.

If that is a case then a golf ball should become your best friend.

Dastardly, do you still weigh like 140 pounds (~65kg)?

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Dastardly, do you still weigh like 140 pounds (~65kg)?
    Ive weighed about 76kg for the whole time Ive been here/doing SS.

I thought I was 80kg for a while but then realised my home scale was being generous.

starting strength coach development program
    Just got back from seeing the doc. He says my conditions is related to Biceps Tendonitis causing AC joint issues. My neck/traps/rhomboids may have been strained from overcompensation trying to stablize the shoulder joint and scapula. I guess this means no heavy pulling or overhead lifting for a while.