starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Programming w/o Deadlifts

Default Help: Programming w/o Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Due to a lower back injury that I sustained before I ever started lifting, but have now re-aggrevated very seriously twice (both from deadlifts), I simply have to drop deadlifts from my program. This really, really, sucks, but just turned 40 and I simply can’t risk it any more and am worried about doing serious damage. My form was good enough (checked here), but appears my back just won’t cooperate. For the same reason, power cleans and rows are probably out as well.

So, the point of this is to look for some help programming the pulling portion of my workout, after squats and bench/press. I had previously been doing the SS model (A/B/A) of alternating deadlifts with rows (I know, no PC), and then shifted to the PPST1 advanced novice of Monday: Pullups / Wed: Deadlifts / Friday: Chins.

My first choice would be to simply alternate chinups and pullups every workout, but am wondering if that is too much of the same thing w/o proper rest.

Or perhaps I could do Monday: Pull ups / Wed: inverted rows / Friday: Chinups. I’d like to know how this would work in an intermediate phase too, and would plan on alternating in weighted sets as set out in PPST1.

Kind of down about losing the DL, which had become my favorite lift, but it is what it is. So any help or ideas would be appreciated. I of course realize the program won’t be optimal any more, but want to make the most of it.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Moffitt; 05-04-2010 at 09:06 AM.

If you're looking for some variation in your pulling movements perhaps inverted rows would be a good option given your back situation.

Thank you, Paul. I really appreciate the feedback.

And there are ways to progress with them too. You can elevate your feet and then start adding weight as they get easier.

Another good tip, thanks very much. I had forgot about elevating the feet, but that will definitely be a great way to progress.

Paul -

Sorry to bug you, but to be clear, do you think doing something like the following would be OK?

Monday: Inverted Rows / Wed: Chinups / Friday: Pullups

I think that's what I'd like to try, but just making sure that isn't too much of the same pulling motion over and over again.

thanks again.

I've found recovery on pulling movements like those to be really quick. If you're just starting them you could get some DOMS if you do higher rep work, but it shouldn't cause any recovery issues.

I'd flip flop inverted rows and chins. Better to have some rest between the two pullup variations.

Also, if you are looking for some more glute/hamstring development look into nordic curls, hypers, and GHD stuff as substitutes for Deadlifts.

thanks, hat. I put the pulls and rows on mon/fri since they both have the wider and palms-out grip, and so thought maybe I should space those out. But what you said makes a lot of sense.

thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you able to perform trap bar deadlifts? Those shouldn't aggravate your back. Maybe a work set followed by a few sets of back extensions to hit the erectors would be suitable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast