starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezing a log out

Default Squeezing a log out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All

I’ve been lurking around on these boards for about a year now (from when it was strengthmill) and I think it is about time I start a log as way of an introduction and got involved. I am going to be doing the Starr model exactly as described in the example in PPST2 (Seamus Queeze), from what I can tell there aren’t many people on here doing it so I thought it may be of interest to some to see how it goes.

I have never posted before on here because I have found most of the answers to my questions before I needed to ask them by browsing this site, reading the books and applying a small amount of common sense.

Some info: I’ve been on SS for just under a year, had some set-backs along the way but haven’t we all. I am 5”10 have taken my bodyweight from 70kg (154lbs) to about 94-96kg (207-212lbs) as I am now. I peaked at a wopping 101kg about 3 weeks ago but couldn’t tie my shoe-laces and my girlfriend looked worried when it came to mounting her. I’m an Engineering student and I’m from the UK (hence the kg’s, and I’m guessing my date notation is wrong too!).

Friday 30/04/10 (Heavy)

Squat – 142.5kg x5x2

Bench – 95kg x5x2

Power clean – 70kg x3x3

Wanted to deadlift really but my friend wanted to clean so we did. My cleans are shit, I’m sure they only go up because I get stronger as opposed to me getting any better at them.

Monday 3/05/10 (Medium)

Squat – 127.5kg x5x3

Press – 62.5 x5x3

DB Bench – 20, 25, 30 kg x10

Deadlift – 150kg x5

Moved the deadlift to today, trained alone. I’ve got an issue with my deadlift, the first rep comes up so slowly and I can feel it looks terrible, then the remaining 4 fly up and feel great, I think I saw Rip say something about this being caused by a bad starting position which sorts itself out after the first rep.

I appreciate all constructive criticism and advice and I hope this log proves useful to people.

With the DL, are you doing a touch and go method, or are you coming to a dead stop between reps? Touch and go could explain why reps 2-5 are easier.

Hi paul

They are from a dead stop, at least a seccond on the floor while I re-set then dip down and pull it.

Could also be a mental issue - definitely pull harder after the first rep.

Possibly CNS related as well. Similar to the trick some people use where they overload for a heavy negative on the bench to try and trick their CNS so the workset seems easier.

Wednesday 5/05.10 (Light)

Squat – 105kg x5x3

Bench – 67.5kg x5x3

Press – 55kg x5x3

Back Extensions – 3x10

Chins – 5,3,3 (New e-book coming soon, 5-3-3 for Chinning)

Sit ups – 2x10

This took me about 45 minutes including my usual 5mins on the bike, kept rest periods down between work-sets, pressing was hard (I guess because of benching first) considering my last work set was 70kg x5x3. I’d prefer not to talk about the chin-ups, I am thinking I may get more out of some high-rep DB rows. Weighed in at 95kg.

I guess I should mention I have recently made some changes to my diet, I have transitioned from the see-food and GOMAD approach to adopting some of the principles that JP lays out. This is another factor in my switch to intermediate programming, I am not going to guess a BF% as I have no idea. I have no desire to lose weight, just cleaning things up a touch.

Also, I’m 23 years old

I'll be following your log since I'm interested in seeing how this program works. How did you select your starting weights? What do you plan on adding each week?

Hey Isis, glad to hear it. I just backed my squat off slightly for the heavy day, last 3x5 weight was 150kg but my hips were feeling real beat up so i deloaded a bit, all the other lifts i'm using my last work sets for the heavy day weights. The medium day comes out about 85-90% of the last heavy workset for each lift while the light comes in around 70%. I basically just used the chart and the example from the back of PPST2 to determine these percentages. I'm tempted to add 5kg (10lbs) a week on heavy and medium days, but i'm gonna add 2.5kg (5lbs) for a while and see how it goes, as i said i feel a little beat up and am seeing the next couple of weeks as a minor deload. Thanks for your interest.

Friday 07/05/10 (Heavy)

Squat – 145kgx5x3

Press – 72.5kgx5x3

Deadlift – 155kgx5x1

Sit ups – 2x10

As I said, I train at two gyms, the one I train at during the week at Uni has decent bars, loads of chalk and ancient equipment and the woman at the desk will spot your bench. Its pretty cool and always empty when I go in the day which is good and bad as I never wait for anything and there are no dicks, but there is zero atmosphere.

The gym I use at the weekends (Friday and Sunday) that I used today is part of a sports centre which houses a team GB Olympic training facility, its also where the English football team train often (Bisham Abbey). I have to walk past what is possibly one of the most well equipped strength training facilities in the country (loads of power racks, GHR, reverse hyper, more Eleiko bumpers than I have ever seen in my life, the place is stocked with purely Eleiko bumpers and bars) on my way to the public gym. I’ve never seen more than 2 racks being used at once and there must be at least 10. The public gym isn’t too bad, there’s enough weight but the bars are all chrome plated so they slide about a bit on ones back.

The squats felt pretty solid, GM’d a couple of reps but only slightly, otherwise they all went up pretty fast.

Moved stance on my deadlift in some and pointed feet straight ahead, this has helped a lot, first rep was still slow, but not as slow as before and manages to keep my back set better and my hips didn’t rise too fast.

Thanks for looking

I have no comments regarding your training, but I love the name of this thread.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I have no comments regarding your training, but I love the name of this thread.
    Matt beat me to it. I was going to give you the "Best-Named LogTM" award.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast