starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury during Squat

Default Injury during Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quick Question,

I was squatting and at the bottom of my second rep I heard a sound that sounded like something quickly tearing a piece of paper by the proximal end of femur. Extremely freaked me out, but didn't hurt at all so I finished my set. No real swelling or redness at all after or the next day. It hurts slightly when I'm sitting in a chair and try to lift my foot off the floor. Hurts a little also when I extend my knee. No significant pain, but still bothers me. I'm thinking it might be (lets hope not) a small tear in either an adductor or possibly one of my quadriceps(doubtful)?

1) I've been using RICE. Is it worth it to see a doctor who will then tell me I have to either continue what i'm doing, not squat, and see how it is in a couple weeks? Or am I better off going right away to get an MRI?

2) Also, I'm doing SS right now. If I can still Bench and Overhead Press how can I incorporate some more upper body in the mean to make the workouts worthwhile(continue to spur adaptation)?

Thank you

Someone else who has torn more muscles will have to chime in here, but I think it is quite unusual to actually hear a tear. That you are not in great pain and can still move around is a good sign. Have you actually tried squatting again? Did it hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by GesD View Post
    Quick Question,

I was squatting and at the bottom of my second rep I heard a sound that sounded like something quickly tearing a piece of paper by the proximal end of femur. Extremely freaked me out, but didn't hurt at all so I finished my set. No real swelling or redness at all after or the next day. It hurts slightly when I'm sitting in a chair and try to lift my foot off the floor. Hurts a little also when I extend my knee. No significant pain, but still bothers me. I'm thinking it might be (lets hope not) a small tear in either an adductor or possibly one of my quadriceps(doubtful)?

1) I've been using RICE. Is it worth it to see a doctor who will then tell me I have to either continue what i'm doing, not squat, and see how it is in a couple weeks? Or am I better off going right away to get an MRI?

2) Also, I'm doing SS right now. If I can still Bench and Overhead Press how can I incorporate some more upper body in the mean to make the workouts worthwhile(continue to spur adaptation)?

Thank you
    Have you checked your pants for any rips?

A muscle tear is more like a pop, and you'll know it when it happens. I've torn my hamstring mildly, and ruptured my Achilles tendon. The Achilles tendon tear was audible to everybody on the field when it happened.

Checking my pants was actually first thing I did. I felt and heard the sound just when i got to the bottom and it was a split second.

Sometimes with double seamed pants/boxers you can rip 1 seam and it can be very hard to see.

Also, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by jayknow05 View Post
    A muscle tear is more like a pop, and you'll know it when it happens. I've torn my hamstring mildly, and ruptured my Achilles tendon. The Achilles tendon tear was audible to everybody on the field when it happened.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Someone else who has torn more muscles will have to chime in here, but I think it is quite unusual to actually hear a tear.
    Dunno about muscle tear audibility, but I have had several connective tissue injuries that were audible, either sharp popping sounds, slow tearing like paper, or grinding gristly sounds like pulling a chicken leg off a roast chicken. Mmmm...roast chicken! When I tore my meniscus, it was a kind of deep pop. Something about the sound of your tissues rending; you just hear that type of sound, and you know you're fucked in some capacity. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    Dunno about muscle tear audibility, but I have had several connective tissue injuries that were audible, either sharp popping sounds, slow tearing like paper, or grinding gristly sounds like pulling a chicken leg off a roast chicken. Mmmm...roast chicken! When I tore my meniscus, it was a kind of deep pop. Something about the sound of your tissues rending; you just hear that type of sound, and you know you're fucked in some capacity. Bummer.
    Ye our kinesiology lecturer said "when your achilles goes, it's like this": (clapped hands together hard)

A collective shudder followed...

starting strength coach development program
    I was squatting fri night, on my last set, halfway through, and I SWORE I blew the seat of my pants open..felt like something back there let go/tore...Had ipod on, so couldn't tell if there was any audible noise...I racked the weight, and checked my pants, which had no tears whatsoever...went to the locker room, checked for hernia by turn head/cough, everything seemed where it was supposed to be, no actual pain to speak of, but just felt tight in my perineum/groin area...no bruising whatsoever the next day, just tight in same area, groin/adductors..seems to be a little better today...any body else ever have this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast