starting strength gym

Thread: chronic knee pain caused by ankle malfunction

Default chronic knee pain caused by ankle malfunction

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For about 10 years now I've dealt with knee pain.

The pain started back in 2001, when a doctor noticed that I have one leg which is roughly 1/2 cm shorter than the other. He suggested I wear a heel lift in my short leg, even though I had never had any pain or problems associated with this condition.

Being rather naive at the time, I listened to him and got a heel lift. Even though I hated wearing it, I stuck with the program for about 6 months, which is when I started having sever pain in my right knee (the short leg). I soldiered on for another 3 months or so, before the pain became so unbearable, I could hardly walk.

My knee has never been the same. Walking and standing always are troublesome -- they just feel "wrong". Though, I can still run, squat, etc.

Anyway, I've tried for 9 years to figure this out. There's no structural damage in my knee (MRI, X-rays, etc.). And, open chain exercises are no problem (i.e. leg extension). It only when I have to balance on my right foot that I have difficulties.

At this point, I'm convinced that the problem is that I roll my right foot out all the time. I never let the ankle relax. If I really really concentrate, I can "force" my ankle to relax. When I do this, everything feels fine -- even normal. My foot feels comfortable on the ground, and my knee feels great. But, I just can't seem to get my ankle to relax on a consistent basis, no matter how hard I try. Nine years of incorrect walking/standing mechanics have conditioned my body to constantly malfunction.

Any suggestions on how I can "recondition" my body to use it's ankle correctly would be GREATLY appreciated. Frankly, I'm tired of dealing with this -- it's a significant source of stress in my life.

Have you tried Rolfing or Hellerwork? both are deep tissue massage done with the goal of improving posture and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by isis View Post
    Have you tried Rolfing or Hellerwork?
    No. But, I shall be reading about both of them today. Thank you.

I highly recommend the Feldenkrais Method.

Active Release Technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Active Release Technique.
    Thanks for the suggestion Monster. Actually, I've had ART for an unrelated problem. It does do wonders for muscle tissue. Unfortunately, this isn't a issue with my muscle tissue. Over the past 9 years or so, I have ingrained some very incorrect motor pathways into my ankle. I am constantly over-supinating my ankle (i.e. rolling my ankle outward). Somehow, I have to unlearn my current manner of walking and standing, and relearn the correct way.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been dealing with knee, hip and lower back pain for six years now, due to a number of tight/weak muscles. See the following two articles:

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/m...e.php?id=13671

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/m...e.php?id=13710

Not saying this is your problem...

Jon