starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammonia (and a Pull PR)

Default Ammonia (and a Pull PR)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'd been meaning to test my conventional DL max for a few weeks now. Had a shit squat session and decided that that was as good a reason as any to go buckwild on the pull. My best conventional a few months ago was 445 or so, but I'd upped my squat quite a bit in the meantime and had recently done 425x5 and just last week 435x5.

I started the ramp up with 455x1. It felt unduly heavy. I asked one of the seasoned lifters there if there were any ammonia tabs in the gym. He found a box and gave me one. I stood over the bar, broke the tab and inhaled and WOW! Jolted my nervous system and I felt extremely energetic. Didn't waste any time and grabbed the bar. 475 flew up like nothing. Personal best!

A few minutes later I was stilling feeling good so I loaded up to 490 (the predicted max based on 435x5). It slowed down near the top, but the pull was smooth, clean and complete. Another personal best!

Can't rely on ammonia tabs too much because repeated exposure reduces the effectiveness of a given dose (like any new stimulus), but I'll be using them judiciously in the future.

Nice job Gary. I've never tried ammonia, but I will.

Ryan Long Guest

I had a similar experience about 2 months ago. Before that I thought ammonia caps were just about being a meathead and self-punishment to get amped up for a lift, now I know differently. Its hard to resist using ammonia caps on a weekly basis, trying to save them for competitions and that last couple of weeks leading up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Long View Post
    I had a similar experience about 2 months ago. Before that I thought ammonia caps were just about being a meathead and self-punishment to get amped up for a lift, now I know differently. Its hard to resist using ammonia caps on a weekly basis, trying to save them for competitions and that last couple of weeks leading up.
    That's what I sort of thought.

I tried the ammonia yesterday because I knew I had the strength for 490, but I needed something to make me not feel so sluggish. Didn't expect that complete rush that made the weight fly.

*buys ammonia*

I just read that article and was gonna post it here, but then I saw a Gary G commented and assumed it was you. I need to try some of this stuff.

I won't bother till I'm pulling 400 at least. 400 is my end-of-year goal. Uninjured, i think i could pull 320 right now. Maybe I'll need one of these tabs when december 31st rolls around and I need a little kick

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    I just read that article and was gonna post it here, but then I saw a Gary G commented and assumed it was you. I need to try some of this stuff.
    'Twas I indeed who posted under "Gary G." For comparison's sake check out this old thread I found: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=259810

starting strength coach development program
    That thread was awesome. Apparently there are a bunch of 220 lb. bodybuilders dominating the powerlifting world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast