starting strength gym

Thread: Finally Recovering Like An Intermediate

Default Finally Recovering Like An Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Smolov and the Russian Squat Routine which are both high frequency. But lately I've found that I simply cannot successfully complete three and four heavy squat routines per week. It's been really weird. I've had a good initial session and then completely failed the next heavy session a couple days later. BUT when I rested a couple days more, I was able to get that next heavy session.

I was a bit confused because I've been using these high intensity/volume/frequency protocols with lots of success and thinking of myself as an intermediate lifter. But I was clearly able to squat heavily several times per week and still make progress which is the hallmark of a novice. So even though I wasn't doing SS, I probably was still a novice or advanced novice, based on my ability to recover and improve.

Now it seems like I need about twice as long between sessions as before. Again, it's just the oddest thing to me to go in one day and completely fail to hit my scheduled squat numbers yet be able to manage it a few days later. I know a lot of you are saying "No shit, Sherlock" as you read this, but it's new to me. I feel like a big boy now that I can only squat heavily about once a week.

Took me a while to get it, however. Since I hit the low-400's earlier this year I've been having a hell of a hard time. Progress has stopped on the squat (even though my deadlift continues to improve) and I've had several failed sessions were various heads of my quads felt like they were going to catch fire and peel away from my femurs.

No shit sherlock.

So you're thinking Texas Method in the near future?

Gary... does this have anything to do with abz? You just told us you were going to reduce your calories and now you're saying that you can't handle the programming. Be honest: Have you been slowly reducing for a while and the desire for abz has just become the straw that broke the camels back?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    No shit sherlock.

So you're thinking Texas Method in the near future?
    Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Gary... does this have anything to do with abz? You just told us you were going to reduce your calories and now you're saying that you can't handle the programming. Be honest: Have you been slowly reducing for a while and the desire for abz has just become the straw that broke the camels back?
    I just got up to my consistently heaviest ever, but kept burning out on the squats. Months after the last meet I'm still having trouble staying with work sets over 315. Yet my conventional deadlift has gained 40 lbs since the January with only two sessions of direct training (425x5 then a couple weeks later 435x5) so I know the relevant muscles are stronger.

I just don't think I can grow bigger and stronger as quickly anymore...which makes sense. My body is also telling me, "You are not going to get three heavy squat sessions per week anymore."

So the nationals are out and you are recovering like an intermediate now.
    What are the implications on your training goals, training style, etc.?
    What steps are you going to take now to keep the train going?

I only ask because I know that part of your success is because you have been really good with making a plan and executing.

I transitioned to intermediate not too long ago. Partially, I feel good that I put in the work and made it...but partially, I am bummed that the gains won't be coming as fast anymore.

It will be interesting to follow along and see how you tackle the intermediate level.

I'm basically waiting for you to come up with something so I can do exactly the same thing. Wetsuit, Tighty whitey's, and snorkel's included. Then I'll tell everyone I'm doing a "GG" routine.....or maybe "Garyside".....

I'm glad the repeated Smolov silliness has stopped for the time being...
    Last edited by ZKP; 05-25-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: My bad Russian Grammar.....

starting strength coach development program
    Gary, you're 40-something.