starting strength gym

Thread: Weighted pullups and chinups

Default Weighted pullups and chinups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been doing 3 sets of weighted pullups and chinups for the last seven weeks, using this schedule:

M Pullups
    W Chinups
    F Pullups
    M Chinups
    W Pullups
    F Chinups

I started at 10 lb and added 2.5 lb every other day. I'm up to 35 lb and my reps are going down. For the last four days, I'm doing 5/5/4 reps.

Where do I go from here? Should I keep loading until I can only do 3 then stay there until I can do 5, or deload and work endurance, or what?

Recommendations?

Seems like a lot of volume if you're doing the program...

Back off a few pounds and start doing this:

Monday: Pull-ups 3x5
    Friday: Chin-ups 3x5

Quote Originally Posted by AlphacityLC View Post
    Seems like a lot of volume if you're doing the program...
    I wondered about that, and anti seems to think so, too.

The volume hasn't appeared to have bothered me, but maybe it would be better only twice per week.

But why should I back off and do 3x5? I'm missing only one rep now. Wouldn't I just stay at the reduced load and not show any improvement?

More is not always better. Having those two breaks from pulls/chins every week should allow your body to recover and thus spur progress for the long term.

When you start to stall again, you could even try working endurance on one and strength on the other and flip/flopping every week ala Texas Method style.

Week 1
    Chin volume
    Pullup Intensity

Week 2
    Chin intensity,
    Pullup volume

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by dmd View Post
    I have been doing 3 sets of weighted pullups and chinups for the last seven weeks, using this schedule:

M Pullups
    W Chinups
    F Pullups
    M Chinups
    W Pullups
    F Chinups

I started at 10 lb and added 2.5 lb every other day. I'm up to 35 lb and my reps are going down. For the last four days, I'm doing 5/5/4 reps.

Where do I go from here? Should I keep loading until I can only do 3 then stay there until I can do 5, or deload and work endurance, or what?

Recommendations?
    One thing to note.... Is your body weight increasing? If so then I would hang at that weight until you can do more (either from a slowing of weight gain or more strength).

If your body weight is increasing and the weight your using on pull ups is hovering around the same number then you are still getting strong and pulling more weight with the extra lbs on your body.

Adding 2.5 pounds to pullups is not something you will be able to continue for very long. Microloading will be necessary. Add less weight, recover more, and work on getting 3x5 reps each time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    More is not always better. Having those two breaks from pulls/chins every week should allow your body to recover and thus spur progress for the long term.

When you start to stall again, you could even try working endurance on one and strength on the other and flip/flopping every week ala Texas Method style.

Week 1
    Chin volume
    Pullup Intensity

Week 2
    Chin intensity,
    Pullup volume

-Hat
    Hat, I like this. You're one sharp fella.