starting strength gym

Thread: Rehabilitating Injuries - Strongest Shall Survive

Default Rehabilitating Injuries - Strongest Shall Survive

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Just wanted to know what is your opinion about chapter 16 of the Strongest Shall Survive by Bill Starr where he recommends doing high repetition the first seven days after having an injury.

He calls to do 3 sets of 25 repetitions for the seven first days, adding also some isolation using machines. Incrementing the weight every day for the top series; first day starting with 50%, 60%, 70-75%.

I understand the reasoning behind high repetition, less weight, moving if there is no acute pain, filling with blood...

What I struggle with is the increase in weight each day, and keeping the 25 reps, by reaching at the end your PR previous to the injury. Ok, getting close to the PR should be on the second week when the repetition get lowered - but even so...

Then regarding the 25 reps, looking in PPI&II the figure about Number of Repetitions, above 20 reps is said is Silliness, but it seems to be good for Capillarity, Lactate Generation and Pain Tolerance.

What is your experience in this matter?

Thanks.

I strained my pectoral pretty bad at one point. I came on here and read up on the Starr rehab protocol and did it. It cured my strained pectoral, no problems.

In PPST2 Rip describes injuries, the how and why, in greater detail. Buy it and read it. Its always worth it and it provides the reason why the Starr protocol is the right way to rehab oneself.

Have to check it out again, have both versions first and second of PPST, and I remember to have read something about that prior to the SSS.

It's just that I was having a hard time on Tue in doing 60kgx25, 70kgx25, 80kgx25 squats and taking pauses of about 2-5 min in between; for the 25 of 80kg I needed to make pauses in it of less than 20 secs racking the bar after the 12th repetition, and it was only the 2nd day of 7 days... so I was thinking how I suppose to be able to do the 25 adding more and more weight to it if I cannot do 25 straight with the top weight of the previous day.

I checked the book SSS, and it looks to me that it should be done together those 3 sets with rest in it; I only see mention of longer rest periods in the next chapter (17) but the case he deals there is of an recovery workout when you couldn't move at all and need to start first doing natural squats, 3 times a day with some hours in between moving up to 100 reps of those natural squats before moving under the bar...

Anyhow, have to check this evening PPST...

Starr was/is a big dude and developed his approach based on his results with other big and strong dudes. If you can only squat 135 X5 across then starting with the empty bar and adding 10lbs a day obviously is too aggressive an approach to loading for you. Use a bit of sense when programming it with respect to your pre injury strength levels and the approach works great.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Starr was/is a big dude and developed his approach based on his results with other big and strong dudes. If you can only squat 135 X5 across then starting with the empty bar and adding 10lbs a day obviously is too aggressive an approach to loading for you. Use a bit of sense when programming it with respect to your pre injury strength levels and the approach works great.
    Yes I was actually thiking to cut the jumps a bit, don't see myself ready right now for doing 100kg non stop for 25 reps at the end of the 7 days.