starting strength gym

Thread: Chinups and elbow pain

Default Chinups and elbow pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started working on chinups last year and soon developed elbow pain on the inside of my elbow - golfer's elbow. It got worse as I did more chinups, so I stopped and after a few months the pain stopped.

I've started chinups again and am noticing a few twinges in my elbow. Other than stopping chinups or living with pain, any suggestions?

How are you with pull ups and neutral grip chins?

Neutral grip chins are a bit better, but not entirely pain free

I'm very weak at pullups (palms out, wider grip), so I can't do enough volume to really tell. I'm also working on these, but progress is very slow.

Hmmm, interesting this came up. I've recently started back training after a break, and started getting pain in both my elbows, but for me it's outside the elbows. But I've also started doing chin-ups quite a lot as well. The pain isn't sooo bad that it's affecting other things yet.

I had elbow pain before, but it was just in my left elbow, and that was a form issue in squats that I managed to fix. But this being bilateral is hinting at maybe chins being a culprit.

I'm in the same boat. Had to give-up chins due to elbow pain. Shame. I have lost 4kg recently so I might give them a try again.
    I now rely on DLs and bent-rows to work the back.