starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding in push-ups and/or ring dips

Default Adding in push-ups and/or ring dips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all:

as a military member, I have this funny semi-annual PT requirement that includes running, sit-ups (no issues for either) and push-ups. I've been contemplating the "best" way to add them to my modified TM routine that will minimize potential interference with BP. Since they need to be done to maximize volume, I was interested in some opinions. With respect to my programming, just assume a standard TM routine (with pressing movements alternating every workout) when considering the question. Thanks in advance.

Greg

If it were me, I would contemplate dropping presses while training the pushups until you are able to reach the required reps easily.

I'd move the bench press to Wednesday and do single sets with a high percentage of your 1-5rm and put pushups on Monday and Friday, with 3-5 sets till failure.

Maybe implement this 4-6 weeks out from your PT test, and then resume normal programming afterward.

This may be taking it a bit to the extreme, but at least you will get really good at pushups .

-Hat
    Last edited by hatmanii; 05-18-2010 at 10:32 PM.

How are your pushups right now?

Yeah, this is not the route I want to go. I am more interested in adding it in as an assistance exercise to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    If it were me, I would contemplate dropping presses while training the pushups until you are able to reach the required reps easily.

I'd move the bench press to Wednesday and do single sets with a high percentage of your 1-5rm and put pushups on Monday and Friday, with 3-5 sets till failure.

Maybe implement this 4-6 weeks out from your PT test, and then resume normal programming afterward.

This may be taking it a bit to the extreme, but at least you will get really good at pushups .

-Hat
    GZT:

I did 57 with ok form for the spring PFA in March, but this was a slight drop from this last fall (62) probably due to neglect. (note, these are below parallel per PFA rules, not chest to floor). I suspect 50 might be more of a struggle now.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    How are your pushups right now?

At the end of every bench workout do 80 pushups. Break it into as many sets as needed. Eventually you'll be able to do 80 straight, no issues. I've done this to prep for the APFT the last couple of years and maxed every time.

IMO- since you can already bang out over 50 pushups, I would just do the standard TM template and spend 20 minutes on Saturdays knocking out pushups and situps. I would add in 2-3 sets of situps as an assistance exercise on Wed and Friday.

I'm not sure why anyone would recomend any singles? Or changing the TM?
    The BP will help drive your pushup numbers as long as you keep the grease grooved of actually doing the pushups.
    As far as the situps - you'll have to keep practing these to get the numbers up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
    At the end of every bench workout do 80 pushups. Break it into as many sets as needed. Eventually you'll be able to do 80 straight, no issues. I've done this to prep for the APFT the last couple of years and maxed every time.
    This isn't a bad idea. I may try it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    IMO- since you can already bang out over 50 pushups, I would just do the standard TM template and spend 20 minutes on Saturdays knocking out pushups and situps. I would add in 2-3 sets of situps as an assistance exercise on Wed and Friday.

I'm not sure why anyone would recomend any singles? Or changing the TM?
    The BP will help drive your pushup numbers as long as you keep the grease grooved of actually doing the pushups.
    As far as the situps - you'll have to keep practing these to get the numbers up.
    I see what you mean as well. I am more concerned about where to add it that will minimize interference with the set routine. I like the idea of doing them on the first day of the two-day break, although at my age, I have some concerns about recovery from a three-set maximum if BP falls on volume day. But there are lots of solutions for that issue I think.

Since I can already bang out the 100 sit-up max (which dropped for me this year at 40), they aren't an issue or concern here.

My changes to TM are simply adding in some conditioning work, nothing else, although I will be shifting to a Bill Starr Oly routine in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post

I see what you mean as well. I am more concerned about where to add it that will minimize interference with the set routine. I like the idea of doing them on the first day of the two-day break, although at my age, I have some concerns about recovery from a three-set maximum if BP falls on volume day. But there are lots of solutions for that issue I think.
    I read your question as in you needed to emphasize your pushups, my reading comprehension must be degrading.

If you just want to add them into your program, I'd do them one of 3 ways:

Do them on Tuesdays rest day and on Friday, or do them on Wednesday and Friday after your sets and do them as such

1) Set a number of Reps you want to reach and go to failure in as many sets as is needed to reach the required reps. Put this number 20-50 reps ahead of your required reps for your PT test.

2) Do 3-5 sets to failure with 3-5 min breaks between sets.

3) Do both options 1 and 2 with each on their own day.

They're pushups, so its going to be kind of hard to fuck them up.

Depending on when your test is you might want to work them in over a couple weeks, but if it's within the next 1.5 months you might just want to jump in.

-Hat

PS - Let us know how you choose to go about it and come back and tell us your results.

My question would be, do you really need to incorporate them into your training? Push up performance will increase as a function of your strength increase.

starting strength coach development program
    Need or want?

To be honest, I don't need to do shit. At my age (40), the minimal requirements are silly easy - the minimum is 24 (and these are break the plane, not chest to floor). But, I don't believe in "the minimum" - ever. Too many fat-ass lazy bastards running around this planet just trying to find the easy way to get rich, thin, whatever (could be a LONG-ASS post on that subject, alone). But the max for my age is 72. I feel like this is doable with some effort. My next PRT is this Fall (Octoberish), so plenty of time.

I've decided I'm going to add push-ups on Bench days and do minimal sets to 100 reps to start. See how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    My question would be, do you really need to incorporate them into your training? Push up performance will increase as a function of your strength increase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast