starting strength gym

Thread: Off Days?

Default Off Days?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The question, on my off days, would it be ok to do some bodyweight exercises such as push-ups/chins/burpees, etc? I don't want to slow down any strength progress.

Just getting back into training and just have the urge to get strong.

Program is as follows
    workout a
    squat
    bench
    Pendlay rows

workout B
    squat
    press
    deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by joey_jersey View Post
    Just getting back into training and just have the urge to get strong.
    Then why not try the program as written? You can vary it later.

Probably better to do them on workout days after the workout if you really have an urge to do them. Burpees really aren't a strength move, pushups really aren't unless you can't do 20, chins are a strength move because you probably can't do 20. How many of these were you planning on doing, how often, and how many could you do? I mean, if you were doing a couple sets of 20-30 pushups or something every morning already and wanted to keep doing that, that would probably not interfere with stuff. If you haven't been doing pushups and do, like, 100 total (going to failure several times) on an off day, that would interfere. If you're doing a little work where you could do a ton, you can probably do it. If you do maximal work, that will interfere.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Probably better to do them on workout days after the workout if you really have an urge to do them. Burpees really aren't a strength move, pushups really aren't unless you can't do 20, chins are a strength move because you probably can't do 20. How many of these were you planning on doing, how often, and how many could you do? I mean, if you were doing a couple sets of 20-30 pushups or something every morning already and wanted to keep doing that, that would probably not interfere with stuff. If you haven't been doing pushups and do, like, 100 total (going to failure several times) on an off day, that would interfere. If you're doing a little work where you could do a ton, you can probably do it. If you do maximal work, that will interfere.
    to be honest, I work in an office all day and sit on my ass. what I have been doing is "greasing the groove" every 30-45 minutes, 1/2 of what my max would be on pushups and chins. I do this because it drives me nuts to sit all day and gives me a good excuse just to get off my ass.

GTG type stuff is probably fine once you get used to it. Keep reps on the chinups low, though.