starting strength gym

Thread: Olympic Weightlifting @ the tail-end of novice progression

Default Olympic Weightlifting @ the tail-end of novice progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of programming advice. A bit of history:

Began seriously lifting using the SS model two years ago, after I had competed as a collegiate rower for UNH Crew. I eventually topped out at around 290 on squats, 190 on bench press, and 315 on deadlift. I forget what my press and power clean were at the time, but they were fairly normal relative to my other lifts.

My novice progression halted at this point and I was beginning intermediate programming when a serious personal life issue derailed my training for a good six months. Lost 30 pounds bodyweight during that time.

I've been back at SS for a few months and am very close to the lifts noted above, at a bodyweight of 202 - and novice progression is also just about done. I'm currently on an extensive re-set for the squat after 290 just about pinned me to the floor. I'm also on a reset for the bench at 185, and deadlifts last night at 315 were good except for loss of grip on the last rep. Press is at 100 and power clean at 130 (I've had significant issues with the press and the power clean was only introduced fairly recently - I used the novice program in the first PPST).

I would like to give focus on the olympic lifts. I am familiar with both technique-wise.

I have researched the board and found Justin Lascek's program for novices at WFAC, but per Justin himself it is designed assuming the normal recovery abilities of a novice. As I'm a bit beyond that now, I'm confused as to how the program the lifts into advanced novice or intermediate training.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Hmmm....I may be wrong (and I find frequently that I am), but shouldn't new lifts be considered "novice" because they are new movement patterns? Clearly there's carryover from certain muscles/CNS/whatever being closer to your genetic potential, but I'd think you'd at least get some decent gains for a few weeks. No?

That's a good point. If certain of the basic lifts can be programmed in a novice fashion while others are at an intermediate point, it stands to reason the olympic lifts would be the same.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much and should just work 'em in

Are you doing the olympic lifts because you're interested in competing/have a competition coming up, or are you just interested in them in general? If you have a competition coming up, the answer will be different because you will need to get serious about hitting the competition lifts. Either way, the way to do it would be Justin's olympic lifting novice program with appropriate modifications to your squat and pressing work based on your non-novice ability to recover from those. But, yeah, the snatch and C+J, especially the snatch, will move up quickly at first as you find your level.

No competitions in sight. I actually became interested in them during my rowing days - we were taught the olympic lifts as part of the S&C program and did them on a somewhat limited basis. I simply found them to be a lot of fun. I do have an interest in competing in the future.

Thanks for the advice -

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant_81 View Post
    I have researched the board and found Justin Lascek's program for novices at WFAC, but per Justin himself it is designed assuming the normal recovery abilities of a novice. As I'm a bit beyond that now, I'm confused as to how the program the lifts into advanced novice or intermediate training.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
    I am going to start following the template laid out by Justin at WFAC/70sBig as well. One thing to note is that you only squat twice per week, and press/bench/deadlift once per week each. Granted, you're now incorporating other lifts in there as well but, I think, until you start approaching heaviness with the O-lift portion, there's still adequate room for linear progression.
    Otherwise, try the titration method where you introduce each lift with its own set/rep scheme over a longer period of time, gradually introducing higher intensities/volume. Good luck.