starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good or bad?

Default good or bad?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What about 3 weeks with 3 sets X 8 reps on the basic lifts, then 3 weeks with 5x5 and last 3 weeks with heavy weights 3x3? Is it a decent program for gaining both mass and strength? Have lifted know for a year and doing a program similar like stars 5x5, but I was thinking some weeks with higher reps could lead to some variation and stimulate musclegrowth, also some recovery after the weeks with more heavy weights.

Or is it better to do for example 5x5 4 weeks and then 3 weeks with 3x3, and add one set with a higher reps, like you do 3x3 bench and finish with 1-2 set of 8-10 reps so you get enough volume for mass when doing heavy weights with low reps.

is this for teh biceps peak?

Starting Strength is what you are looking for.

Clearly you have a dizzying intellect...

Already have starting strength, my thought was a period of more reps would build more mass than lower reps, if my focus is a mix of strength and mass.

Quote Originally Posted by dan77 View Post
    Already have starting strength, my thought was a period of more reps would build more mass than lower reps, if my focus is a mix of strength and mass.
    And that is what you shall receive by simply following SS.

Maybe, but if I recall SS recommends 3x5, so I was thinking to do something different now after a year of lifting, even if the difference between 3x8 and 5x5 isnīt that big I suppose, but it always fun with some variation.

What are you currently squatting/pressing/deadlifting?

In your first example: if you are trying linear periodization stick with 3 working sets for all rep ranges; meaning, don't go up to 5 sets when you hit the 5 reps weeks. You are trying to increase the intensity while lowering the volume over that 9 week cycle. 3x8 is 24, 5x5 is 25 which defeats the purpose (if that is what you are going for).

The second example: don't add the back-off sets to the 3x3. Glenn Pendlay's setup has you doing the 5x5 for the first block, then drop to 3x3 & increase the intensity while unloading from the 5x5 volume.

Do whatever works for you, but these are tried & true ways that many people have used with good/great success, in both strength & size.

starting strength coach development program
    I weight about 80kg/180 pounds. Benchpress about 220, and squat about the same, DL I donīt know, did 3 sets of 5 reps on 220 pounds last workout. I have been following a routine similar to this
    http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geo...odized_5x5.htm

Where I did 5x5 4weeks with the same weight on mondays, bench,rows and squats, Wednesday DL and overheadpress, sometimes frontsquats or cleans, but this day I take it little more lighter, do about 3-4 sets of 5s on the DL, then on friday I do same as monday but increase the weights in 5 sets. Some assistance work also. Then 3 weeks with 3x3 with the same principle. While this worked good my concern was if a period with more reps may have some positive effects on mass and also the lighter weights a bit more easy on the body, maybe 3x10 reps, if my goal is not only strenght foremost and wants to gain weight to about 200 pounds.

On the other hand some say 2-5 reps are ideal for the basic lifts, you can lift explosive and donīt lose energy the following sets and mass is also no problem if you do enough sets, say between 5-8, you also have energy to do a lighter set with more reps when the muscles are used to lift explosive, instead of doing 10 reps of 3 sets for example when fatigue is more a factor.

I guess I can experiment to see what works out, for strenght I assume 3x3 or 3x5 is good, but if want to add some more mass maybe some higer volume can be beneficial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast