starting strength gym

Thread: New program

Default New program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, I started out in early 09 with SS3x5, then after a few months went over to the adv. intermediate and now I've been doing Bill Starr 5x5 with moderate success for just under 6 months.

I'm currently at 97kg bw, 160kg raw squat, 170kg deadlift, 100kg bench, 100kg power clean, 60kg ohp.

Anyway, a few of my lifts have been stalled for a while now, especially the deadlift almost seems like its going down, and I figured I'd try a new program after my final exams. (I've been on a month long break now).

Also note that I am a sub junior powerlifter and my next meet is in November, I also need to stay in decent cardiovascular shape so I either swim or hike a few times a week.

Can anyone recommend me a program to try until a few months before the meet?

AliP:

Some questions I imagine that will help:

1. Which lifts are stalled?
    2. What have you done to try to break the stalls?
    3. Is that a month break from lifting?
    4. How's your diet and rest? injuries? (recovery issues?)

My deadlift is the worst one, since last christmas it almost seems like its been going down, I was doing 5x170 at my best, currently I have difficulty pulling that weight once, my OHP is stalled, my bench and squat seem to be going at a reasonable pace tough. I've tried resetting and all the basic stuff.

Yeah, I did an entire month break, despicable I know but like I said there was no option, when you spent all your time lifting while you should be doing your homework the final exams require much effort.

I've had no major injuries to speak of and I believe my diet is fine, I try to get a decent amount of protein over the day, other than that I simply eat maintenance by keeping track of my weight, keeping it under 100kg. I figure this might be the primary problem, I'm not on a caloric excess, and I believe the Bill Starr program is constructed with an excess in mind.

I was wondering about the Westside barbell program, how do you feel about that?

I'll refrain from adding an opinion on topics I know little about (Westside). The questions just seemed like they would be needed for you to get a decent answer to your questions. Good luck.
    -G

Westside is great, but you need to eat for recovery if you want to get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Westside is great, but you need to eat for recovery if you want to get stronger.
    Well, I can't get any heavier, I want to stay in my current weight class, for many reasons, I don't suspect the bodybuilding approach of "cutting" and "bulking" cycles is fitting?

starting strength coach development program
    It would seem to me that you are going to have a tough time being a slave to three masters: your powerlifting goals; keeping your weight constant; and staying in decent cardio shape...