starting strength gym

Thread: Programming PC work as part of DL warm-up: Stratagies?

Default Programming PC work as part of DL warm-up: Stratagies?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've noticed a fair number of people have mentioned doing PC work as part of their warm-up on DL days. This makes a lot of sense, as the pulling movement is basically the same between the two (at least in the SS methodology) and it allows extra technique work during the week on a more technique-dependent movement. However, I was wondering if anyone has experimented with having a fixed goal in mind for the PCs in this context. For example, working towards a heavy single, or perhaps working to a set of three PCs at a fixed percentage of the last PC day's working set weight. Or is the PC work done as part of the warm-up only until form starts to break down (where ever that might be on a given day)?

Thanks!

I do it until form breaks down.

Until form breaks down. Should be higher, of course, than the worksets. But you're warming up for the deadlift, not training the PC. If I'm close to a landmark, like 225, I might push things up a little to hit it. But I'm not titrating to a max PC or anything. You're there to do your deadlift. Don't try to kill two birds with one stone.

I would keep it at about 50% of my 1RM if you want to work on form and warm up..

Thanks, gentlemen. Sounds like until-form-starts-to-go is the preferred approach. I appreciate the experienced feedback.

I did this on my last deadlift day. I did some powercleans at 135 for the first warmup weight to get the blood flowing then went on to do the normal deadlift warmups 225/315 etc. It was more entertaining and helpful to my next powerclean workout.

Just for fun. After you do your deadlift work sets. See what it feels like to Powerclean. The bar feels like a feather. Just don't hit yourself in the face

Quote Originally Posted by milk-grinder View Post
    I did this on my last deadlift day. I did some powercleans at 135 for the first warmup weight to get the blood flowing then went on to do the normal deadlift warmups 225/315 etc. It was more entertaining and helpful to my next powerclean workout.

Just for fun. After you do your deadlift work sets. See what it feels like to Powerclean. The bar feels like a feather. Just don't hit yourself in the face
    Not what I experienced. Accelerating the bar is a bitch after heavy deads.

Back when I was only cleaning 185 for work sets, I would have trouble cleaning 135 as I stripped the bar after deads. Of course, I also had trouble walking and speaking English. Maybe you're not deadlifting enough weight yet.

I did it only a couple minutes after the DL so I guess the blood was still flowing good. That and my DL is probably considered light weight *<400 so I'm probably not as fried after compared to others pulling 400+

maybe a note
    -individual results will vary

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by milk-grinder View Post
    I did it only a couple minutes after the DL so I guess the blood was still flowing good. That and my DL is probably considered light weight *<400 so I'm probably not as fried after compared to others pulling 400+

maybe a note
    -individual results will vary
    Yeah, I'm in a weird place with my DL and PC numbers. My most recent work sets for the PC were at 190#, with a max one-rep at 215# a couple of weeks ago. However, my work sets for DL are only 280# for 1x5. I just hope to be pushing 400# someday before I die of old age...