starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue Rip vs Do-wins

Default Rogue Rip vs Do-wins

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm in the market to look for a nice weightlifting shoe ever since I lost my chucks. I've narrowed it down to the two shoes but I have a problem.

I was about to get the dowins but I heard that the elevated heel could be problematic when doing deadlift.

So I considered getting the rip shoes. But unfortunately my size is out of stock and I have no idea when they will restock.

So should I just get the dowins or wait until the rip shoe comes back in stock.

I got the Do-Wins about 3 weeks ago and I love them...I thought Chuck's were good enough, but not so. It's a lot easier to keep the knees in place and the heel helps you feel the hamstring bounce.

The deadlift setup is a little different, and it takes awhile to get used to. But I pulled a PR 5x355 yesterday in my Do-Wins no problem.

I've had the Rogue's for well over a year and love them. Can't comment on the Ripstyles.

I wear mine for all lifts and couldn't be happier. I didnt deadlift in them the first 6 months I had them, but once I found my "stroke" in them I couldn't imagine going back to my wrestling shoes. You very well could just deadlift in other shoes and wear the Rogues for everything else.

I'd buy the Do-wins over rips shoes for aesthetics alone, but it also helps that they are a great shoe and you couldn't really go wrong with either one IMO.

-Hat

I'd get the Do-Win shoes that are currently in stock for your size. I have the VS athletics limited edition Royal blue shoes, with a 3.3 cm heel (midsole 2.8 cm, sole 0.5 cm). Unless the heel fucks up your mechanics for the deadlift such that you cannot get a flat back even after you've followed all the cues, the shoes are a net benefit for all of the other lifts on SS. FWIW I've never felt that my shoes prevented me from making increases in the deadlift that I couldn't attribute to:
    - too aggressive loading
    - not enough eating
    - not enough sleeping (a biggie).

One thing I'd look for though are shoes with a good instep strap, that doesn't snap off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pho View Post
    So I considered getting the rip shoes. But unfortunately my size is out of stock and I have no idea when they will restock.
    They've been on backorder for about 8 weeks. Last they told me, they expect to ship the next batch on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Robison View Post
    They've been on backorder for about 8 weeks. Last they told me, they expect to ship the next batch on Tuesday.
    If that is the case, do you recommend the Rip shoes over the Do Wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Pho View Post
    If that is the case, do you recommend the Rip shoes over the Do Wins?
    Can't really say, I've never squatted in either. I've just been waiting for Rip's.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    I've had the Rogue's for well over a year and love them. Can't comment on the Ripstyles.

I wear mine for all lifts and couldn't be happier. I didnt deadlift in them the first 6 months I had them, but once I found my "stroke" in them I couldn't imagine going back to my wrestling shoes. You very well could just deadlift in other shoes and wear the Rogues for everything else.

I'd buy the Do-wins over rips shoes for aesthetics alone, but it also helps that they are a great shoe and you couldn't really go wrong with either one IMO.

-Hat
    I dont understand the mechanics that would make a heel harder to deadlift with? I am not experienced enough, but would the tilt forward make it easier to get a straight back since one doesn't have to stretch as much forward? I am confused?

With a heel, you're effectively making yourself taller. So that means you have to reach down a little more, and the ROM will be increased. The argument is that there will be a bit more quad involvement to help get the bar off the ground. But it will be an individual matter whether this extra quad involvement will have a net benefit over the increased ROM.

So some people might lift more with a heel, others more without.

starting strength coach development program
    For my the problem was hipflexion... I would feel a lot of tirque on the lower back, when going below paralell.

With the WL shoes, I can go down on the same dept but do not feel a thing on my lower back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast