starting strength gym
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength, Waterpolo and Connditioning

Default Starting Strength, Waterpolo and Connditioning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey found this Forum and joined. Starting strength for two weeks already, but got some experiences in strengthtraining.

Me
    22 years old
    ~175lbs @ 6'1'' with low bodyfat

Nearer strengthgoals
    BP 5 x 176lbs (now @ 110lbs x 5)
    SQ 5 x 187lbs (now @ 110lbs x 5)
    DL 5 x 264lbs (now @ 176lbs x 5)
    Press 5 x 110lbs (now @ 66lbs x 5)

Bestmarks:
    BP 5 x 175lbs, SQ ?; DL 10 x 308lbs

Routine

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    + Additional

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans
    + Additional

--> Additional just 1-2 sets to prove imbalances and calves/abs...not disturbing the basic and hold shortly.

Some videos:
    Powerclean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1OlO45LAYc
    Press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJfA-1C1RYk
    SQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntf-rP2VFvw
    DL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EbuxHMCGo

the first two to three weeks i started too heavy, my fault.
    Last edited by B117; 06-03-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Hey and welcome,

The videos are obviously pretty hard to interpret, but everything looks pretty good, except 1) on your press, you should breathe at the top and rebound at the bottom. This will let you push more weight. 2) on your PC, you don't seem to be hitting your thigh on the jump. Oh, and 3) you must eat.

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Hey and welcome,

The videos are obviously pretty hard to interpret, but everything looks pretty good, except 1) on your press, you should breathe at the top and rebound at the bottom. This will let you push more weight. 2) on your PC, you don't seem to be hitting your thigh on the jump. Oh, and 3) you must eat.
    Thanks for posting!
    1. Yes, i'll work on it. The press is totally new to me, but thing i'll get it.
    2. Do you mean the Barbel has no contact with the thights at the jump position? "Focus on keeping he bar on the thigh" Rip says in his article. Just doing this excercise three times since Starting Strength.
    3. I am eating a lot. On training days 3500-4500kalories. I need to stay lean.

Today i'll Try to geht some new videos. The "last" cycle of StartingStrength i start too heavy, so that i now reduce the weight, to get to Rippetoe's explainations.

Some facts:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-> so i start wie two-third of the estimated 5rm:
    66lbs under SQ 5rm
    77lbs under DL 5rm
    55lbs under BP 5rm
    33lbs under Press 5rm

Load increments per Week
    SQ + 11lbs or more
    DL + 11lbs or more
    BP + 11lbs or more
    Press + 5,5lbs or more
    --> hitting estimated 5rms in week 6 or 7 as described, maybe DL a little bit later, but the DL is may strongest lift (already pulled 352lbs wihout belt and pobably not the limit-> but not after Squats)

Last edited by B117; 06-03-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Workout A
    Squat 110lbs x 5 x 3
    Press 66lbs x 5 x 3
    Power cleans 88lbs x 3 x 5

+ Additional
    BSS BW x 5 x 2
    Pullups BW x 5 x 2

- Pretty easy

Calves + Abs

SQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ibcPoRCTY
    Press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptXxU3mDR6A
    PC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqe6P5p8bR0
    Last edited by B117; 06-01-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B117 View Post
    Thanks for posting!
    1. Yes, i'll work on it. The press is totally new to me, but thing i'll get it.
    2. Do you mean the Barbel has no contact with the thights at the jump position? "Focus on keeping he bar on the thigh" Rip says in his article. Just doing this excercise three times since Starting Strength.
    3. I am eating a lot. On training days 3500-4500kalories. I need to stay lean.

Today i'll Try to geht some new videos. The "last" cycle of StartingStrength i start too heavy, so that i now reduce the weight, to get to Rippetoe's explainations.
    2) Yah, the bar should come in contact with your thigh when you jump with straight arms. Refer to SS 191-194 and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE. This will help ensure a vertical bar path, especially at heavy weights. Hard to get perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    2) Yah, the bar should come in contact with your thigh when you jump with straight arms. Refer to SS 191-194 and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE. This will help ensure a vertical bar path, especially at heavy weights. Hard to get perfect...

Oh, now i understand really, what you mean. My thigh should give the barbell a "kick" upward, not just stay in contact. A real "hit" on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by B117 View Post
    Oh, now i understand really, what you mean. My thigh should give the barbell a "kick" upward, not just stay in contact. A real "hit" on the bar.
    No absolutely not. You do not want to bang the bar with your thighs on the way up, it will only cause problems. You want to keep the bar in close to your body, and it should brush your thighs on the way up. You are letting it get a little away from you, and thus need to keep it in closer to your body, not slam it against your thighs.

Okay on another note, I am a former collegiate D-1 water polo goalkeeper, and have run a strength program for 2 years at my former university. I think that doing SS is a great idea for your off season training. But why on Earth is staying lean a priority? Your goal should be to get as big and strong as possible this off season. Water polo is a sport played in a buoyant environment, thus size does matter. You could be the strongest person in the pool but weigh 150lbs and when you go to push against someone weighing 215lbs you will move away instead of them because they have more relative mass.

I know having a 6-pack is cool, but honestly with how much you swim in season you will always be lean with a low BF% whether you want to or not. Thus off season should be spent getting big and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
    No absolutely not. You do not want to bang the bar with your thighs on the way up, it will only cause problems. You want to keep the bar in close to your body, and it should brush your thighs on the way up. You are letting it get a little away from you, and thus need to keep it in closer to your body, not slam it against your thighs.

Thanks for correction. The vid makes it seem to me this should be done.
    Okay on another note, I am a former collegiate D-1 water polo goalkeeper, and have run a strength program for 2 years at my former university. I think that doing SS is a great idea for your off season training.

That was my intention, too for choosing a routine. I just want basics, with some low volumend assistance. SS seems to be the right thing for me, better than WS4SB was in my case.
    But why on Earth is staying lean a priority?

Putting "dead mass" means to me a significant decrease of speed and endurence. I'm probably the fastest man for counterattack if i'm in shape and i don't want to loose this. With guys weighting 2++lbs i have no real problems until yet, because most of all our formation takes them away from me and if not i gained a real good slickness. At 198lbs i was much inferior than now.

Your goal should be to get as big and strong as possible this off season.

Yeah my plan was to peak my strength, that i hit my former 5Rm in july/august (after ~6 to 8 weeks like the guide explaines), wenn our offseason starts and i could recover more because of swimming only 1-2 times for some weaks.

Water polo is a sport played in a buoyant environment, thus size does matter. You could be the strongest person in the pool but weigh 150lbs and when you go to push against someone weighing 215lbs you will move away instead of them because they have more relative mass.

I know having a 6-pack is cool, but honestly with how much you swim in season you will always be lean with a low BF% whether you want to or not. Thus off season should be spent getting big and strong.

In our Offseason we swim much as well and longer distances, so the BF% isn't already a problem. But i think with almost 3500kalories or more (up to 4500) i should get bigger and stronger.
    Thanks again for posting your opinion.

starting strength coach development program
    With my athletes they have gained an average of 15-20lbs and all dropped swim times across the board.

Dead weight will slow you down, but not muscle mass. At a lean 195lbs you will be faster than you would be at 175lbs.

Good luck, and keep working hard!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast