starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximizing recovery

Default Maximizing recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Like the Title says, how would you go about maximizing recovery while on SS.

In regards to the Tall and Skinny not the Chubby kids.

You've got your GOMAD, but what would be best to fill in the other 3500-4000 calories.

I was thinking 1000 calories from almonds would be easy to fit in.

1000 or so calories from steak or ground steak

1000 calories from something like KD

Then fill in a 1000 with eggs/ chicken/tuna / whey.

As far as fruits and veges how much would you guys recommend.

As Far as supplements like creatine and fish oil?

Anything else to maximize recovery and milk linear progress as long as possible?

Later in the day after you workout I am a firm believer that rolling your muscles out with the stick or a foam roller and then soaking in a damn near SCALDING hot bath for 10 minutes x 2-3 sets significantly improves recover and reduces DOMS.

Hot/Cold alternating shower .....hot as you can...cold as you can...1 min each way for 5 or 6 repeats. Classic old restorative method...sucks, but it works well..watch you dont faint

Quote Originally Posted by Smith K View Post
    Like the Title says, how would you go about maximizing recovery while on SS.

In regards to the Tall and Skinny not the Chubby kids.

You've got your GOMAD, but what would be best to fill in the other 3500-4000 calories.

I was thinking 1000 calories from almonds would be easy to fit in.

1000 or so calories from steak or ground steak

1000 calories from something like KD

Then fill in a 1000 with eggs/ chicken/tuna / whey.

As far as fruits and veges how much would you guys recommend.

As Far as supplements like creatine and fish oil?

Anything else to maximize recovery and milk linear progress as long as possible?
    Carbs look to low to me, which will lower your strength. I suggest adding in some cake, bread, oats, or whatever your preference is for high carb foods, replacing some of the high fat/no carb foods. A lot of fat in the diet is good, but you may just have too much, considering how little carbs you plan on getting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHawk View Post
    Carbs look to low to me, which will lower your strength. I suggest adding in some cake, bread, oats, or whatever your preference is for high carb foods, replacing some of the high fat/no carb foods. A lot of fat in the diet is good, but you may just have too much, considering how little carbs you plan on getting.
    GOMAD = low-carb?

Quote Originally Posted by NKT View Post
    GOMAD = low-carb?
    Only because that's nearly all of his carbs.

The carbs in the milk will be 832 calories of his total apprx 6000 calories, which means carbs are only 13% of his diet. Personally that's too low for my comfort since I've experienced temporary loss of functional strength on low carb diets, but have never had problems when eating much higher carbs. I don't know the exact percentage of carbs that will cause strength loss, so I like to keep it at around 30% of total calories.

He asked how much fruits/vegetables he should eat, so I would say quite a few. If he ate a few servings of each then it should probably be fine. But there is a reason why a lot of people eat cake, ice cream, or other high carb foods like that on a bulking diet. It makes it easier to get in 6000 calories.
    Last edited by MikeHawk; 06-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHawk View Post
    Only because that's nearly all of his carbs.

The carbs in the milk will be 832 calories of his total apprx 6000 calories, which means carbs are only 13% of his diet. Personally that's too low for my comfort since I've experienced temporary loss of functional strength on low carb diets, but have never had problems when eating much higher carbs. I don't know the exact percentage of carbs that will cause strength loss, so I like to keep it at around 30% of total calories.

He asked how much fruits/vegetables he should eat, so I would say quite a few. If he ate a few servings of each then it should probably be fine. But there is a reason why a lot of people eat cake, ice cream, or other high carb foods like that on a bulking diet. It makes it easier to get in 6000 calories.
    Sorry man I should have clarified. 1000 calories will becoming from KD (Kraft Dinner) Which is mac n cheese. Straight Carbs.

As far as the other 1000 or so Calories from chicken/eggs/ tuna, etc. It would probably be in the form of sandwiches or mixed with noodles.

I've heard of alternating showers, never understood the logic in them to be honest. When is the best time to perform them? After a session or everyday.

Definitely the foam roller. I feel soooo much better the day after lifting if I hit the roller after the workout. Also, make sure to be getting some easy carbs and whey protein right after working out. Apparently that 20-30-minute post-workout window is key for optimal nutritionating.

I don't know much about the whole nutrition side of things, but Ian I've been reading/hearing that there is a shift now in the whole post-workout window thing. The whole post-workout window seems to not be restricted to just 20-30 min, or even an hour after working out. And that a good pre-workout meal is more important than post-workout. Don't take my word on this though, but this was just what i've been reading/hearing as i said earlier, and maybe the more experienced can chime in.

starting strength coach development program
    There is an incredible amount of disagreement on a wide range of issues regarding nutrition. Basic areas which you'd think would have been settled long ago are the subject of intense disagreement.

Why not eat both pre- and post- workout? I've never seen anyone say that lots of small meals is a bad idea. Whether it's necessary is a different question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast