starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate my Texas Method program

Default Rate my Texas Method program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Almost done with exhausting linear progression (at 136kg squat workset atm).
    And I am already having fun making my texas method scheme
    I am an aspiring rugby player looking to get strong as hell :P

Donderdag : Volume day

5x5 Squat
    5x5 Bench press/Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x Max Chin/Dips alternate

Zaterdag : Medium

3x3 Front Squat
    3x5 Press/Benchpress
    3x15 Back extensions

Maandag

10x2 Squat Dynamic effort. (DE)
    10x3 Press/Benchpress alternate (DE)
    5x3 Powerclean

Feedback is would be appreciated as I have probably done a couple of things wrong :P
    Last edited by Koalala; 06-03-2010 at 09:00 AM.

I might think about putting the chins/dips on Friday instead of Monday. Monday will be brutal enough without them.

Good point maybe even add them on the medium day?

Quote Originally Posted by Koalala View Post
    Good point maybe even add them on the medium day?
    In my experience, you don't want to exhaust your upper bag through chins/pullups, because you want them totally recovered for Friday; In my routine, however, I powerclean on Wednesday and deadlift on Friday. I have also done powercleans on Monday with success. I've found I'm too exhausted for max deadlifts on Friday. Another question - what is your percentage of your 5x5 weight are you using on medium day? I would play around with that to make sure you aren't fatigued for Friday, although, you are opting for speed sets Friday so you may be fine. Trial and error

I was thinking of something like this.

5x5 60kg press on monday

3x5 80kg bench wednessday

10x3 45.5kg DE Press

Monday : 5x5 100kg Bench

Wednessday : 3x5 60kg Press

Friday : 10x3 Bench 65kg DE

Adding 2.5kg each week on light and volume day.
    I am not sure about the speed day should you add weight or just aim to move the weight faster and how do you measure that?
    Last edited by Koalala; 06-03-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalala View Post
    I am not sure about the speed day should you add weight or just aim to move the weight faster and how do you measure that?
    Westside uses undulating cycles of 50-55-60% in a three week period, but I always just used 50%. Your aim is to increase the speed of the movement. It's difficult to objectively measure if you workout by yourself, so I would instead just bust your balls to move it as quickly as possible.

This is great i was wondering how to program this. For DE day westside does 10*2 60 sec break squat, 8*3 60 sec break bench, 10*1 30 second break deadlift, I think Rip does thing differently. Any comments?

Well practical programming advocates 10x2 DE for squats and 10x3 for Presses
    with short rest.
    The percentage of workset is 50-75% of 1rm(75% would be way too muchI think).

Assume I have a 160kg squat 1 rm with 140kg worksets than speed sets would be 80kg.

Have you done the DE stuff before? I was probably doing something stupid, but I found that all of those bench reps (10x3), after 5x5's on Monday, were a lot of stress on my shoulders. I know I had form issues back then though (not to mention I'm ancient). Don't be like me, make sure your form is solid.
    I want to try again later on in the Fall.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 06-04-2010 at 02:53 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Westside typically just uses 50% on bench pressing with DE days (3 week wave at 50-55-60 with squatting as mentioned previously) and changes tension with bands and chains as well. Again the aim is to move the bar as fast as possible, not letting the bar slow down after each set. For gauging that, I guess just try to find someone you trust with some knowledge to watch you, or video tape it. Those options kind of suck, just not sure what else you could do if you dont trust your own "feel"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast