starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Chins for a Novice

Default Programming Chins for a Novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't know if I'm allowed to call it St*rting Str*ngth since I've messed with it, but I'm doing the program exactly as prescribed in the book except for chins instead of power cleans. I won't bore you with my reasons but they are adequate for me.

Anyway, I can't actually do more than about 1 rep at body weight. Yes that is pitiful, why do you think I'm on SS?

I'm approaching programming in as close a way as I can come up with to the other lifts - using the chin assist machine, doing several warm up sets and then 3 x 5 work sets. Reducing the assistance >> increasing the effective weight each time.

Is this my best bet or is there a better way to go about?
    Thanks,

Mike

Chins with the machine require less stabilization than real chin ups. Do some singles, then some negatives, and then if you've still got gas left in the tank head over to the machine.

I'm approaching programming in as close a way as I can come up with to the other lifts - using the chin assist machine, doing several warm up sets and then 3 x 5 work sets. Reducing the assistance >> increasing the effective weight each time.
    This is probably a decent way to go, although you'll want to do some real chins/pullups in there, too, as PVC mentioned.

rather than use the machine, do partials not dead hangs WHICH IS A MUST AFTER. i am guessing approx 3 partials where elbows are eye level would make 1 dead hang. or maybe not but try as well.

PVC mentioned doing some negatives. Stand on a chair so you can get in lockoff position, like you are at the top of the chin-up. Step off the chair and hold the position, then slowly lower yourself to a dead hang.

What is your weakness with chin-ups? Most people find they don't have enough strength in the brachioradialis that runs from the elbow on the thumb side of the forearm. If that's giving you problems, try some hammer curls with dumbbells.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd View Post
    PVC mentioned doing some negatives. Stand on a chair so you can get in lockoff position, like you are at the top of the chin-up. Step off the chair and hold the position, then slowly lower yourself to a dead hang.

What is your weakness with chin-ups? Most people find they don't have enough strength in the brachioradialis that runs from the elbow on the thumb side of the forearm. If that's giving you problems, try some hammer curls with dumbbells.
    90% of the weightlifting I did before SS was hammer curls with dumbells :-)